Dead Chicks, coccidia or not?

MysticUniKitty

Crowing
Mar 2, 2019
North Texas,Collin County
don't know what happened! I'm not sure if it was due to pasty butt issues, got too cold and got trampled, or we have coccidia again?! Went out to check on babies to see how they were doing with new brooder heater, lifted it and two of my chicks were dead! If I treat for coccidia and it's not it will it hurt my chicks? I have a quart warterer, if I treat how much corid in that size?

Coccidiostats will not hurt your chicks. It's recommended that chicks are started on coccidiostat medicated starter.

They're on medicated feed, I had vitamins in the water, but still found them dead. They are in our shed, had heat lamp for a while but when I noticed them constantly having pasty butt we got a brooder heater plate thing. I set it up this morning, this evening is when I found them. Just not sure if they got too cold and smooshed these two

They're on medicated feed, I had vitamins in the water, but still found them dead. They are in our shed, had heat lamp for a while but when I noticed them constantly having pasty butt we got a brooder heater plate thing. I set it up this morning, this evening is when I found them. Just not sure if they got too cold and smooshed these two
Ok, I'd suspect something else if you have them on medicated starter and they still have a pasty butt. Enteritis perhaps, which would require an antibiotic that you'd need a prescription for. Sorry for your losses.

How old are your chicks? Did you hatch them or were they shipped to you? Shipping stress can affect them for as much as 10 days. If they are very young, I would offer Poultry Nutradrench orally or dip their beaks into electrolyte water to get them drinking. If they are a couple of weeks old, then get Corid liquid at your feed store, and start treatment.

How old are your chicks? Did you hatch them or were they shipped to you? Shipping stress can affect them for as much as 10 days. If they are very young, I would offer Poultry Nutradrench orally or dip their beaks into electrolyte water to get them drinking. If they are a couple of weeks old, then get Corid liquid at your feed store, and start treatment.

I bought 12 chicks for my one hatched chick. They arrived Friday, so they are almost a week old. I just got some fresh vitamin water for them and all ran to it, including my hatched one. I haven't seen bloody poo at all but know that sometimes doesn't show. I do have corid on hand.

They should not be suffering from coccidiosis at this time, but probably suffering from shipping stress or getting too cold. I would get them warm under the brooder lamp and keep them at 85-90 degrees F. Get them all drinking electrolytes water. Check them twice a day for pasty butt, and keep it cleaned. How warm is the room with the heat plate?

As they were under the plate, they very well could have been trampled or suffocated by the other chicks.
How often do you check in on them; could you have possibly noticed or missed signs they weren't thriving? If the pasty butt wasn't properly dealt with, they could have died of intestinal blockage but I am assuming this was handled correctly.

They should not be suffering from coccidiosis at this time, but probably suffering from shipping stress or getting too cold. I would get them warm under the brooder lamp and keep them at 85-90 degrees F. Get them all drinking electrolytes water. Check them twice a day for pasty butt, and keep it cleaned. How warm is the room with the heat plate?

It's a shed so only a little warmer then outside. I'll keep fiddling with the temps and heating items and get them warmer.

As they were under the plate, they very well could have been trampled or suffocated by the other chicks.
How often do you check in on them; could you have possibly noticed or missed signs they weren't thriving? If the pasty butt wasn't properly dealt with, they could have died of intestinal blockage but I am assuming this was handled correctly.
I check on them 3 times a day but today I missed my afternoon visit. But I may have missed something this morning.
Pasty butt issues was washed often.

Back
Top Bottom