dead duck :(

mommaduck4

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
tonight we went out to feed our 4 peking ducks (2 female & 2 males) & found one male dead. not only was it dead, but most of the flesh on its neck was gone, & alot of the head was mangled & partly ate. our other 3 ducks were covered in blood.( Alot of blood on there heads & neck) & seemed a bit in shock. our other male seemed to weak to get in his pool after we put new water in it, he tried but couldnt. but anyway, we thought at first maybe the 3 other ducks attacked him, but the more research i read it seems it may have been a weasel or a mink. does anyway, have any ideas. so praying it wasnt the ducks turning on each other, we locked them in there coop & set a trap hoping to catch whatever did this.

Sorry to hear about your duck, I seriously doubt it was the other ducks
More than likely a weasel or mink like you suggested.
I lost one of our Pekins earlier this year, no sign of anything, just gone so I assumed a large hawk, eagle or fox maybe :(
I hope everything goes well for you in the future, I try to keep an eye on our 2 ducks but they come and go so quick.

Most predators want duck dinner.

I would check very closely on the other ducks, see if there are any puncture wounds, give them vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics and rework their shelter to preclude predators. They may need vet care. They are probably in shock.

It will be back. Not to sound ominous, just that's how these critters feed themselves. They have found an easy mark. I feel that they watch us, and know pretty much what our habits are, when we leave for longer periods of time.

this morning my hubby went out to let the ducks out of there pen & check the trap. sure enough, we had caught a mink. he is a little monster, cant believe how mean that thing is! we will be locking them up at night now & will set the trap again.
thank u so much for your reply, it helps alot.

we did look at the ducks a little last night, but didnt see any puncture wounds. but they do seem in shock. poor little guys!

Well, a hawk always eats the head and neck first, and maybe some of the body after that. There may have been a pair of hawks, and one just had bad aim And a lot of times they don't carry the body away.. I don't want to be gross, but just so you know, that minks will eat the organs from the body cavity, and leave the carcass. Weasels a lot of times will just drink the blood and leave the body, though they will sometimes eat the meat. I think if it had been a weasel, it would have killed the other ducks too, but maybe not, it could have been a weasel.

Keep the ducks inside for a while, a couple of weeks, if you can. A radio turned to a talk station, and turned on and off at various times throughout the day, and turned up loud, is a great deterrent. Good luck, sorry about your loss. fyi, weasels are very hard to trap, so the radio, and keeping them inside for a while, would be my first recourses.

Sorry for your loss. So sad.
I hate mink, absolutely despise them. Had one that attacked my rabbit, thankfully I was there to fight it off.
Hope your other ducks are alright.

This thread has been moderated.

This would be a good time to review BYC's guidelines for this forum, here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/5808/predators-and-pests-forum-please-read-here-first

Among other things, these include:

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

Last edited:
No problem. I am out of here. Sorry if I offended anyone. I don't do well with sarcastic people.
There are some wonderful people on this forum. I wish you all the best.

I have heard that raptors pluck the feathers from the breast /body of the bird and feed from there. My beloved Dr. T was killed in broad daylight last Friday. No frenzy at 'murder' scene, looked to be quick, right next to his pool - he was on his back, breast plucked of feathers and breast partially eaten. Otherwise intact. again daylight, and there have been hawks hanging around - but he was a BIG duckie. Thoughts? There have also been two huge peacocks hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom