Dead Hen in Laying Box

I didn't think to check her vent. I still can if I know what I'm looking for.

She is a four year old pullet and the "leader" of the group. We free-range our girls and if anyone is in trouble she will come to the front door and let me know. I have noticed some dark runny droppings under her roost in the past. Don't know if that could be a factor?

She is a four year old pullet and the "leader" of the group. We free-range our girls and if anyone is in trouble she will come to the front door and let me know. I have noticed some dark runny droppings under her roost in the past. Don't know if that could be a factor?
Not sure how squeamish you are, but whenever you lose a hen to something unknown you should always do an autopsy. It's really informative and you can learn a lot. It helps to check them over beforehand to see if there's any external wounds too.

Based on your posts with the locations of the blood, it sounds like she was bleeding from her vent. It could be a result of internal trauma or something simply went wrong in the egg making or laying process. If there were no other signs of injury on her, it is sad but these things sometimes happen.

I just went out and checked her vent and it looks normal. No sign of prolapse. I checked her elsewhere for injuries and no sign of any wounds. Very curious. I'm not necessarily squeamish but wouldn't know where to begin or how to do an autopsy. I palpated around her vent to see if she may have been egg bound but I really couldn't feel anything. I'm sad to see her go of course but just want to make sure the rest of my girls don't have anything happen to them if I can prevent it. I appreciate any and all replies. Thank you and please keep posting if you have any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom