Dead Pullet in Run, No injury?

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
I found Martini (less than a year pullet, old enough to lay) laying on her belly inside the wire run. She is unbloody, no visible injuries, completely limp and going cold. I must have been minutes too late to see what happened. The run was open and everyone else was ranging. Is there anything I can do to determine what might have happened? Very new at chicken death... I don't really know how to examine her body. Any tips at all will help. I don't want to lose anyone else if possible but hard to figure out what could have gone wrong. Thanks so much for any guidance.
IMG_20230203_154651455.jpg

Crop is small and easily palpated, probably almost empty. I did give some eggshells crushed and a few bread scraps. Her mouth appears clear. I took a picture of her vent because it looked a little funny to me, but also, she's dead so maybe it is just going to look different.

Should I go ahead and, well, attempt a dissection just to see what's happening inside so far as egg - binding or food goes? I wouldn't know what else to check her for...

Crop is small and easily palpated, probably almost empty. I did give some eggshells crushed and a few bread scraps. Her mouth appears clear. I took a picture of her vent because it looked a little funny to me, but also, she's dead so maybe it is just going to look different.

Should I go ahead and, well, attempt a dissection just to see what's happening inside so far as egg - binding or food goes? I wouldn't know what else to check her for...
A dissection would be great, if you feel that you can mentally do that.
She must have had poison.

I’m sorry for your loss.What do your chickens eat? The only cause of sudden death I’ve seen in my flock with no prior symptoms was fatty liver hemorrhage. Both were confirmed by necropsy at UC Davis.
They eat Dumor Chick Starter/Grower. Occasional table scraps (stale bread ends, leftover eggs and eggshells crushed, the like. I don't feed them beans because I'm always afraid they haven't been cooked properly). I did give a couple of strawberries yesterday, maybe they were too old... Idk. I feel awful. Seems like poisoning is most likely and that's the only thing I can really think of as unusual.

Back
Top Bottom