Deadly mistake

fishnchix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
I am not a stupid person, or a careless one, but we all screw up sometimes. I am still a little rocked by what happened last weekend. I am ashamed, but figure if I can spare any peeps or peoples, it is worth any grief I may take for telling this story.
I lost an entire hatch save one chick to what I think was some bug that got into my incubator. Next hatch began with 5 healthy, robust babies and by the end of the day I had 8.
My broodery is on the porch with my aquaponics tank, and I clip lights to the metal cage around the tank and point them over my boxes. I have an endless supply of cardboard boxes, and I like the hygiene of having a totally fresh box every time I clean the bird area. One of my lights kept sliding down, but it fell against the metal cage and still pointed at the box enough to provide heat, so no biggee.
Well, my 8 peeps got strong enough to move to the porch, so I fixed up their box, went out and looked around for the best spot to insulate them. Right there between the boxes with the bigger birds and the fish tank looked perfect.
The big birds are too big for boxes now, not quite ready to go to the coop, so they went into a big cage I have for another week or so. I slid them back where their boxes were, hovered and fussed over everyone until temps were stable and peeping was minimal, and I went to bed.
That saved our life. When the lamp fell in the night, there was now a box in front of the metal cage. My sweet little babies died of smoke inhalation, but nothing else burned. If they had all still been in cardboard, my entire porch would have gone up like a torch, and I could have lost everything and I mean everything.
I have 3 new peeps this morning, my next hatch is starting. A part of me feels like I ought to give them away, I am not up to all these tiny little corpses... But then I hear them, "Peep, peep!" I can't quit. I just have to get better at it, and I cannot ever be that blase' about the lights again.

Your not the first to make that mistake nor will you be the last. Take what you've learned and do better next time.
hugs.gif
Sorry.

I'm so sorry you lost your chicks. Suffice to say, I have made mistakes, too -- as have many of us. Remind yourself that you had no intent to harm, put it behind you, and go on.

Thanks for sharing your situation with us. While I'm sorry for your loss, I'm also thankful you aren't sharing a more tragic story. Its obvious you care greatly for your lil' peepers. I think keeping the new hatch will actually help you past your sorrow.

OH, now, this could happen to any of us..........So glad nothing worse happened and you're OK! We all learn from our mistakes.....That's for sure! Don't beat yourself up over it......

I had a heat lamp fall into my brooder last week, and thank goodness it was the one with the metal guards over the front.......I had a funny feeling something wasn't right, went downstars to peek at the brooder, and there it was, heat lamp on the floor of the brooder.....Everybody was OK, and there was just a tiny bit of shavings that were charred a bit.......I really lucked out! So I secured those lamps with zip ties and they're not goin' anywhere now.......

This same thing could have happened to me........You're not alone......Sometimes it makes you feel better to hear that!

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom