Death Layer/ Egyptian Fayoumi Chickens ?

Pinkerton5m

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
I ordered and hatched several death layer chickens. Now that they are older just one of the hens has a regular cone and not a rose comb like the death layers, she looks like a Egyptian Fayoumi. Is it common for death layer chicken to occasionally come out with a regular comb ? Or do people cross them sometimes or maybe one got mixed in with my eggs? I want to stay selling their eggs and chicks but want to make sure what is going on. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, but I'm still chuckling at "cone" 😋😘

Try posting a picture as more detail will help people respond who know what the coneheads should look like.

I'm so sorry, but I'm still chuckling at "cone" 😋😘

Try posting a picture as more detail will help people respond who know what the coneheads should look like.

Attachments

• 17163CD5-50CD-4D59-9860-BE416C62B1AA.jpeg
    17163CD5-50CD-4D59-9860-BE416C62B1AA.jpeg
    833.8 KB · Views: 40
  • CD358B11-B6AC-4B6B-B57B-97B91B8C8722.jpeg
    CD358B11-B6AC-4B6B-B57B-97B91B8C8722.jpeg
    898.7 KB · Views: 41
They aren't accepted into APA because they are a new breed and don't breed true.One of the breeds used to create the deathlayer has a single comb.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-28 9.02.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-28 9.02.49 PM.png
    191 KB · Views: 41
I ordered and hatched several death layer chickens. Now that they are older just one of the hens has a regular cone and not a rose comb like the death layers, she looks like a Egyptian Fayoumi. Is it common for death layer chicken to occasionally come out with a regular comb ? Or do people cross them sometimes or maybe one got mixed in with my eggs? I want to stay selling their eggs and chicks but want to make sure what is going on. Thanks for any help!
The Möwe also comes in the same colors (Silver pencilled and gold)

just one of the hens has a regular cone and not a rose comb like the death layers...Is it common for death layer chicken to occasionally come out with a regular comb?

For any chicken with a rose comb, it can carry the gene for single comb and still look the same. So it is fairly common for rose comb breeds to produce some chicks with single combs, just because it is so hard to identify and cull the ones that carry the not-rose gene.

It seems to be pretty common with Wyandottes and Sebrights and some other rose comb breeds, so I would not be surprised if it happens with death layers too.

Back
Top Bottom