DEBATE -- Pyreneese vs. Donkey -- Which is Better at Predator Control?

Preservation Acres

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Here's my situation...

We have 25 acres, 15 is in pasture. We haven't "set up home" there yet, but we will be living on site with goats, sheep, and of course chickens and other poultry.

In Middle Tennessee, we have coyotes (not as many as Texas, but they're here), annoying stray dogs, and all of the same smaller pests you'll find across the US like raccoons, etc.

What's the better animal for our situation?

If you get a donkey, and get a male, do NOT get one that's in tact unless you want it to "breed the neighborhood". We sold our jack last year after he covered our Henny because he kept jumping the fence, going to chase bulls, and things like that.

One of my neighbors lost her 15,000 dollar bull to an in-tact jack because the bull got between him and the other donkey, so he killed it.

Other than those precautions, I say donkey. They don't eat much, don't generally want to be bothered, and their bray alone has scared off coyotes here. Never seen one go after a coon, though.

A pyr is a great dog only if you don't make it a pet. If you me it a pet it will be so busy with you it won't do its job. Learned that the hard way.

I would say the Pyrenees.
Here is some of my experience with both.

I have them and they have stopped the coyote and stray dog problem here. You will have to have good fences, which you will need to keep goats in anyway. Pyrenees dogs tend to want to patrol and protect as far as they can see, so they do have a tendency to want to roam.
They will also chase predators as far as they need, in order to catch them.

They will kill coons, skunks, possums, etc...which is a great plus!! You should get 2, they take turns being on watch so your animals and property is guarded 24/7. One dog will not live as long or be as healthy, from being on guard too much and not getting the rest it needs. With 2, they seem to live much longer, and you will really notice how they work as a team. Ours have an unheard signal to the others when there is something that needs their attention. One can be seemingly sound asleep, and the next instant be on its feet and running. I will look when that one jumps up, and see the one that was on guard running way out in the pasture. In no time, they are working the fence line from opposite directions.

If you choose to use a donkey, you will need get a female or a gelding (neutered male). It will also need to be one that hates dogs. Your pet dogs included.

We have only had 2 donkeys out of many, that would chase dogs or coyotes. Most would only chase them if they came too close to the donkey itself. Our crafty coyotes would just walk along the fence line, so they could either dart under it or jump over when the donkeys got too close to them. They would then proceed to other areas that the donkey didn't have access to, and cause havoc.

Whichever you choose, I hope you find the right one the first time.

Jean

Lamas are awesome protecters
thumbsup.gif
They aren't aggresive to Visitors like the Pyrs, and do a better job than Donkeys
smile.png
I'd get one

Llama's! All the way.. My friend had 200+ acres they ran horses on, and they had 3 llama's that would kick the tail off any cougar within sniffing distance. can't go wrong with a llama. just don't get spat on lol!

I say donkey
they are tough! A pack of coys can kill a pyr.... i think they'd have a LOT harder time bringing down a big male donkey...

I don't know about the dog, but the donkey would be great. I have a miniature in my horse pasture. My dogs got in one time following me. He was, for sure, going to remove them at all cost. I got them out before he had that chance.

A good fence is your best animal! I have a Pyranees/shepherd cross, and he's a good protector to a point. I have found that my mini horse is more aggressive and alert to approaching predators than any of my dogs are. Granted, the dogs sleep in the house - they aren't raised with the flock, etc. But a good fence: we have sturdy woven wire with electric wire backing it up, seems to have worked well for us, and our chickens are shut in at night, of course. Our chickens free range on 5 acres, coyotes are frequently seen, but don't come onto the property. Foxes, likewise. Obviously this wouldn't be hawk protection, but with our relatively large breeds, hawks haven't been a problem at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom