Pics
Are silkies water-hardy? I've read that they don't do well in rain etc. Is this your experience? Many thanks!

I don't have a silkie, I only have a silkie mix, but here's what she's like with water. They don't know they're any different from the "normal" chickens. To me it seems like she likes water even more. She gets wet very easily. She's spent some nights in the apothecary simply because she was drenched. I've never had to blow dry one of mine (used to have a silkied cockerel as well), and if they're not completely wet, they can manage well. It's just not good for them to be sitting in water

Got the new Brinsea 56EX set up and running. I just happened to have 22 of my fancies eggs to put in it. ☺️ Due 4/12.

I have 9 in the right one lying on a mat in lockdown. Due 3/25.

In addition to the 22 set today, I have 20 out of 23 left in there that were set for the Easter Hatch Along. They had been in the NR360. Those are due 3/30.

I'm so glad to not have to mess with humidity anymore! I'll hang on to the NR360 for a few months to see if I can get along without it. I should be able to keep one for incubating and one for lockdown/hatching.

View attachment 3779188
That looks wonderful! Congrats on the new incubator and smart thinking doing a test run with the eggies you "just so happened" to have 🤣

These are the last of the shipped eggs in the new brooder. The new brooder is exactly like the other one except hubby doesn't have the electrical box nor light in it yet. I went to a tile store and picked out the groovy tile as we ran out of scraps. 😊

View attachment 3779198View attachment 3779199View attachment 3779200
1 paint NN I wasn't sure was going to make it. It had broken most of the shell around it, but not the membrane. After a day, I helped it get out of that but it was pretty weak for a couple of days but it's going to make it now.

The rest are 2 mottled (1 frizzle), another little NN that might turn buff but not sure. The others I believe are paint but blacks.

I'm most excited about those two mottled as I wasn't expecting them and never really seen many like these.
Adding to your NN army, whoop whoop! I'm glad the paint is going to make it. What a cute group!

Last edited:
I don't have a silkie, I only have a silkie mix, but here's what she's like with water. They don't know they're any different from the "normal" chickens. To me it seems like she likes water even more. She gets wet very easily. She's spent some nights in the apothecary simply because she was drenched. I've never had to blow dry one of mine (used to have a silkied cockerel as well), and if they're not completely wet, they can manage well. It's just not good for them to be sitting in water
Thanks, it seems like I may be getting some and didn't want to be worried if they were out when it rained. It's not like they don't have cover but you know chickens - rain means worms = getting wet.

I rather they wouldn't get wet, but rain does NOT stop them from coming out. These three I don't have anymore but it's the best picture I have of soaked silkies. Amazingly, they somehow clean up just fine too!

View attachment 3779207
They look so bedraggled lol. Wonderful to hear that I don't have to stress about them being out should we get a shower. Thank you!

Thanks, it seems like I may be getting some and didn't want to be worried if they were out when it rained. It's not like they don't have cover but you know chickens - rain means worms = getting wet.
Yes, there is a tar road out front a ways and they've learned rain and road means worms! We only get a few cars per day so it's not like I worry too much but still I try chase them back.

Ahhh your babies are so beautiful!!! That nn paint with the big spot on the back - sooo cute! And the two mottled (and one of them being frizzle!!!) So excited for your beautiful babies!!!!
Thank you! I'm excited too! Buying hatching eggs has sure been expensive considering only about 20-30% made it, but I'm pretty tickled about what I wound up with! Now to grow them all out to see what they become. There's 10 out in the temp pen, mostly cuckoos that are a little over two months old which were the start of the purchased eggs I'll be thinning out first in a couple of months. :)

Back
Top Bottom