Debeaked Hen

Shxrty

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Everyone!

I’m from Melbourne, Australia and I recently bought a new Isa brown hen. I noticed she had an underbite and was later informed she had been debeaked in the battery hatchery. My hens free range my backyard and I’m always out helping them turn soil for worms. Delilah can eat and drink food I give her, however, she can’t seem to preen herself that well and foraging looks like hard work. Is there anything I can do to make things easier for her? Should I set up another worm garden just for her? Or will she gradually become better at this? I think she’s about 15-16 weeks and hasn’t laid an egg yet

Can you post pics of her?
Most battery houses I have seen rehoming birds they are not that young.

Depending on how far back it was cut it may grow back soon. If cut very short it may take a long while.

I would offer normal chicken feed moistened with water to make a mash the consistency of cooked oatmeal. This should be easier for her to eat without quite such a rough go.

We had the best laying hens we ever had that were debeaked . They could not forage well, so we kept them in a run and did what sour said . I wish I had pictures of the eggs , second year eggs would not fit in a jumbo carton, they also had a red coloration darn near red . They always debeaked them at the hatchery , When I tried to get more of these hens I was informed the old guy that was breeding them had passed away but the hatchery man told me he thought the fellow was breeding New Hampshire roosters with Buff Orpington hens . I don't know for sure . But I have never seen those red eggs again . If any one knows how to get these red eggs let me know or I will be wondering forever .

Can you post pics of her?
Most battery houses I have seen rehoming birds they are not that young.

Depending on how far back it was cut it may grow back soon. If cut very short it may take a long while.

I would offer normal chicken feed moistened with water to make a mash the consistency of cooked oatmeal. This should be easier for her to eat without quite such a rough go.

Of course! The lady I get my hens from takes isa browns before they go into a battery house. Delilah is very timid, I’m not sure how old she was when she was taken but I don’t think she’s had a very good experience with life yet. I did read that it’s possible for the beak to grow back, that’s very uplifting because compared to other hens hers doesn’t look too bad. Thank you for the advice I’ll make some up for her now, hopefully she takes it!
P.S it’s down pouring here, I had to bring her under shelter because she wasn’t preening herself like everyone else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 13
Of course! The lady I get my hens from takes isa browns before they go into a battery house. Delilah is very timid, I’m not sure how old she was when she was taken but I don’t think she’s had a very good experience with life yet. I did read that it’s possible for the beak to grow back, that’s very uplifting because compared to other hens hers doesn’t look too bad. Thank you for the advice I’ll make some up for her now, hopefully she takes it!
P.S it’s down pouring here, I had to bring her under shelter because she wasn’t preening herself like everyone else.

She will warm up to you once she realizes you are the bringer of yummy things. She will learn a lot just watching the others too.

I would say her beak may take 6 months to grow back. At least it fully covers her tongue.

I have a cross beaked bird that has to have wet mash every day. My poor girl is a mess most of the year from not being able to preen properly.

I have a chick that hatched with what looks like an "underbeak". I know it's not quite the same thing, but I just wanted to share. He is a couple of months old now. Everything else with him seems to be normal. He was the first to crow out of that flock and seems to eat well.

I have a chick that hatched with what looks like an "underbeak". I know it's not quite the same thing, but I just wanted to share. He is a couple of months old now. Everything else with him seems to be normal. He was the first to crow out of that flock and seems to eat well.

I originally thought she was just a little bit special and was just born this way. I didn’t really think that the “underbeak” would be there if she had been debeaked. I feel really bad for these animals. I hope your rooster lives a full life, they all deserve to!

She will warm up to you once she realizes you are the bringer of yummy things. She will learn a lot just watching the others too.

I would say her beak may take 6 months to grow back. At least it fully covers her tongue.

I have a cross beaked bird that has to have wet mash every day. My poor girl is a mess most of the year from not being able to preen properly.

I hope so! My head hen hasn’t taken well to her yet but Delilah has the biggest feet in the flock so I think she might take over that role in a few months. I really hope it grows back but if it doesn’t I will keep feeding her soft foods.
I’m so sorry to hear about your girl, do you have to dry her when she gets too wet? I’m thinking I might have to dry Delilah, her down is soaked

Back
Top Bottom