Debeaked pullets from Meyer Hatcherey

thank you galanie. we were pretty sure about the difference between the two. our concern is that people have said many hatcheries will claim to trim the beaks, when in fact they actually debeak them. That was the main reason for the post. we hoped that someone may have gotten some from meyer, and could tell us which is the correct term for their practices.

I did have 10 red sex links that were debeaked as day olds. I didn't get them until they were a yr old & moulting. The hens would peck anyone who walked by-- kinda like a dog sniffs you. I rehomed all of them since my chicks were starting to peck me after seeing the bigger hens do it.

I did loose one to a sinus infection-cold-- or something similar-- her beak was shorter than the others. Humidity was real high here-- her face swelled up on one side. She died within a week. No Meds seemed to help. No other birds ever had similar symptoms. I blame it on the beak being too short.

The birds didn't have any problems free ranging, but I would not purchase debeaked hens. These hens never acted like my other chickens. It was rare when they would chase a bug or venture around the yard. I am sure that is related to how they spent the first yr of there life before moving to our farm.

Back
Top Bottom