Debeaking and de-watteling?

Crickett

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I saw a man yesterday who had bought a roo at a flea market. The comb and wattles had been cut off of the poor thing. Anyone know why this is done? Also, I've heard of de-beaking, but what is it and why? It sounds painful for the chicken; as for that rooster, he looked so pathetic!
hit.gif

Game roosters, must have thier combs and wattles cut off to be able to show them. It is the breed standard.
Debeaking is removing a little part of thier top beak to prevent pecking. But not really no reason to do it if the birds are given enough space proper diet, and such.

Removal of the combs, wattles, and earlobes is called dubbing and is used to prevent frostbite and injury and is neccessary for certain breeds to be shown. It is a quick procedure and the birds are only in a small amount of pain for a very short time. Immediately afterwards they're running around eating and dancing as if nothing happened.

Debeaking is used in high production, mainly battery, facilities where canabalism is a problem. Removing the beak prevents the birds from hurting each other, but the real answer to the problem is to simply give the birds more space.

Well, since my own are for me and not for show, I don't believe I'll be cutting their parts off, and as for the de-beaking part, don't think I'll need to do that either.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom