Decatur, Georgia -1st time chicken keeper and ended up with 3 roosters /1 hen

Robinbobbin

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to chicken-owning and raised four lovely chicks together (now at 12 weeks old) and it seems I have 3 cockerels and one pullet. ☹️ They are really close and snuggly with each other and I hate to separate them, but I gather this rooster to hen ratio won’t be good once the boys reach sexual maturity.

Really sad about this, but if anyone in Georgia is looking for roosters please let me know. All 3 have a friendly disposition and enjoy interacting with their humans. I am unsure what breed they are, possible copper maran?

One is maturing more quickly it seems and is a beautiful black/green (pic #2 - named Peppercorn) one is slower to mature and is black with red just starting to come through (pic #1 - named Thistle) and the other is gray/brownish/red (pic #3 - named Truck).

I’m still hoping one of them is a pullet - or if not, I’m thinking maybe I should keep one rooster just so my girl doesn’t end up all alone. 😕 Unsure what to do about that.

I would try to keep them all or add in lots more girls to make it all work, but I don’t have enough yard space to give 3 roosters adequate territory or add more chickens (4 is really the maximum # I have room for).

Open to all opinions, advice and offers.

Thanks!
Robin

D301AA46-88AC-4AAB-8B2A-1989A79B21ED.jpeg
ABDBC02E-4D3D-41CD-93E2-91C65B252687.jpeg
D02E5049-61A6-43E3-86F4-B3B8AD854319.jpeg

I would wait a couple weeks on #1 and #2. # 1 is most likely a cockerel, but I think you definitely should wait and see on number two.

I like your theory about #3 Percheron and I hope you’re right, but interestingly that is the only chicken that has started to crow in the mornings 🤷🏼‍♀️ I also see a lot of “challenge” behavior going on between the 3 that I think may be boys. I have read that crowing and challenging w/ hackle feathers up is behavior seen in pullets also. I’m just going to hope for best and expect the worst. 🙂

#2 is the only no doubt cockerel. #1 more than likely. #3 more than likely pullet.

JadeFarms are we looking at the same pictures? 😄 When you say #2 is questionable do you mean the one with black/green coloring and very contrasting red hackle feathers? I put pics of my babies on the thread asking about gender and everyone said 100% that #2 is a cockerel and the votes were more split on the other two.

I would wait a couple weeks on #1 and #2. # 1 is most likely a cockerel, but I think you definitely should wait and see on number two.

JadeFarms are we looking at the same pictures? 😄 When you say #2 is questionable do you mean the one with black/green coloring and very contrasting red hackle feathers? I put pics of my babies on the thread asking about gender and everyone said 100% that #2 is a cockerel and the votes were more split on the other two.
I meant to wait on number three :lau Number two is definitely boy

Back
Top Bottom