December 2022 hatch-a-long

I swear I was going to turn my incubators off until March, but here I am with 8 of my own breeding blue/splash Silkie eggs, and 16 shipped cuckoo Silkie eggs (and was that shipping process a saga - USPS "lost" them for two days), due to hatch 12.10 and 12.12 respectively. Aaaaaaand I'll probably collect this week's blue/splash eggs and throw them in on this upcoming Saturday too....

I swear I was going to turn my incubators off until March, but here I am with 8 of my own breeding blue/splash Silkie eggs, and 16 shipped cuckoo Silkie eggs (and was that shipping process a saga - USPS "lost" them for two days), due to hatch 12.10 and 12.12 respectively. Aaaaaaand I'll probably collect this week's blue/splash eggs and throw them in on this upcoming Saturday too....
oh can't wait to see those babies!!!!!

View attachment 3329416
14 of the 15 shipped eggs developing. day almost 4.
I am so excited to candle and hopefully see something in some of these eggs... but we had an explosion in the incubator last night (1 day after they were set). so that was a joy to clean up since I had to sanitize the whole incubator again and remove any that got anything on them and I took out the extremely dirty ones too. so in total 6 were taken out so I put 6 from my flock in there just to see if they are fertilized or not (checked with the guy I am hatching for if he would want any chicks that hatched and he did). so hopefully SOMETHING happens.

day 3.5 here and saw a baby for sure in 1 egg and maybe in a couple others. Some eggs are harder to really tell. Hoping there is more than 1 going. I did add a few of my eggs in, not sure if they are fertilized or not since my roo is very fluffy and I haven't trimmed him or the girls lately, but I also had a younger roo in there for a bit that was starting to mate a couple of the girls. Those eggs are only on day 1.5 but hoping to see something in those in a couple days.

My eggs were shipped from one state over. I candled, when I set them, they looked great. Now day 6/7 I can see a very, very small section in all of them that looks like shipped egg. They are in the turner. The turner is pretty gentle. I hope the one section will not effect the hatch. They all are developing and looking healthy.

I checked the eggs I added today, they are day 3... These are from my chickens eggs. I only see development in 1 egg and one has a bubbly detatched air cell which seems odd to me since it was from my own eggs so was laid, I collected it and it went into an egg carton. I have tried to hatch eggs from this one before and have noticed the same thing in a couple other eggs. Was hoping for more of the eggs to be fertilized since I put in 6 from 6 different girls. But hopefully just where it is getting colder and one roo was molting and the other roo that was in there was young and just figuring things out.

Guess I’m joining! Hatching mixed bantam eggies for a friend’s grandma and I’m super excited to see what happens 😍 Silkie roo over silkies, D’Uccle, Brahma, and barred somethings

1BF39E8B-2723-493A-9863-D50203C51DFD.jpeg
257201DE-DC1D-4858-9A10-A360B0ADF5BE.jpeg

Finally just set some eggs again! :yesss:

I've been waiting ages on these Leghorn eggs.
Clifford wasn't covering them properly... despite lots of trying! In his defense, the girls are 1/3 his size so it was a little ludicrous watching him try to balance and get hold of their neck feathers.

Cue faceplants in the dirt, sitting on the girls like a sofa, and the time the hen jumped away but he kept looking around under himself like "Where did she go? She was here somewhere!".

Finally, some cracked eggs look fertile, so just to be sure I stuffed the incubator 😲 29 Leghorn X English Orpington eggs in an incubator that fits 22. Hopefully I can tell who's developing quickly.

My goal is to lay the foundation for a Jumbo Egg pen that I can use later in my main project. I figure the size of the Orps + larger Leggie eggs should yield some hens that lay big'uns. I shall call them LegOs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom