DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!šŸ˜Š

Iā€™ve heard that about Runners which is what Iā€™m hatching of course. Iā€™ll be sure to spend a lot of time with them to prevent that.
Got any pics of your calls?
I sure do! I donā€™t have any pics of my two blue fawn call hens and the one eyed pastel hen :( But here are the other 4! Thereā€™s a pastel hen, a grey hen, and 2 pastel drakes.
42C86254-C7A6-4E29-B2B8-FA22BA05B88B.jpeg

Also calls are sooo hard to hatch in an incubator. I should have believed the Internet when it said so! They hatch just fine under a broody, but often DIS in the incubator. I never had trouble using an incubator for any of my other duck breeds. I suppose itā€™s because calls tend to have short bills? I dunno.

Well is well and truly into spring here so ill definitely be hatching :)

I have 19 golden pheasant eggs to set for a friend.
I have a doz cochin bantam eggs arriving this week
And some more leghorn eggs coming at the end of the month...

Looking forward to it warming up here and seeing chickies hatch

Oh and I have 3 broodies at the moment too

:wee

Also calls are sooo hard to hatch in an incubator. I should have believed the Internet when it said so! They hatch just fine under a broody, but often DIS in the incubator. I never had trouble using an incubator for any of my other duck breeds. I suppose itā€™s because calls tend to have short bills? I dunno.
They are so pretty! I read that also about calls. My DIL wants to get those or Pekins, Iā€™m trying to talk her out of the Pekins but she wants me to hatch for her. Iā€™m nervous about that! Especially shipped eggs.

They are so pretty! I read that also about calls. My DIL wants to get those or Pekins, Iā€™m trying to talk her out of the Pekins but she wants me to hatch for her. Iā€™m nervous about that! Especially shipped eggs.
I vote calls! Or white layer ducks, which are just like pekins but without all the leg issues.

@igorsMistress my vote is, and always will be, on silver appleyards. Lol. I have had runners as well and even the ones Iā€™ve raised from the egg, well, still flighty. Except for my singleton hatchling that is most definitely a screwed up drake that finds green crocs irresistible. Heā€™s friendly enough. šŸ¤£ now my appleyards, theyā€™re sweet, and mild mannered. I can walk up to my favorite hen and pick her up whenever and snuggle her. :p if youā€™re looking for a duck with a bit of heft but less of the problems of the commercial Pekins, theyā€™re a good choice. :p my appleyard on right, and her runner crossbred daughter on the left.
18D8A59A-9A9A-4DD7-BD03-0FEBE2ECC8F1.jpeg

@igorsMistress my vote is, and always will be, on silver appleyards. Lol. I have had runners as well and even the ones Iā€™ve raised from the egg, well, still flighty. Except for my singleton hatchling that is most definitely a screwed up drake that finds green crocs irresistible. Heā€™s friendly enough. šŸ¤£ now my appleyards, theyā€™re sweet, and mild mannered. I can walk up to my favorite hen and pick her up whenever and snuggle her. :p if youā€™re looking for a duck with a bit of heft but less of the problems of the commercial Pekins, theyā€™re a good choice. :p my appleyard on right, and her runner crossbred daughter on the left. View attachment 2406902
They are lovely ladies!
Iā€™m not a cuddly, snuggly owner but if theyā€™ll stick around when I show up and eat from my hand thatā€™ll be nice. I really only want a few ducks, 3 or 4, and only hens so theyā€™ll all end up Runners to start. Iā€™ll show this to my DIL though, I donā€™t think she has really decided yet.

Well is well and truly into spring here so ill definitely be hatching :)

I have 19 golden pheasant eggs to set for a friend.
I have a doz cochin bantam eggs arriving this week
And some more leghorn eggs coming at the end of the month...

Looking forward to it warming up here and seeing chickies hatch

Oh and I have 3 broodies at the moment too

:wee
Awesome you are joining in @Chookwagn!ā˜ŗ

Back
Top Bottom