DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Yeah today’s day 8 for me as well. There are a few that still haven’t developed but I think I’ll wait till day ten to toss them. It looks like there may be some blood rings as well. I know the humidity has been a bit high. Is this egg still developing? I see some veins but that looks like a ring.
This is more what they look like in my experience. Photo from the internet. I had some shipped eggs back in June, that I suspect were quite old, they had large air cells and the eggs were really dirty when I got them. Out of the 12, 7 developed blood rings. NONE hatched. Very disheartening.
blood-ring.jpeg
i

This is more what they look like in my experience. Photo from the internet. I had some shipped eggs back in June, that I suspect were quite old, they had large air cells and the eggs were really dirty when I got them. Out of the 12, 7 developed blood rings. NONE hatched. Very disheartening.View attachment 2419149i
Thanks for sharing, I’m a bit more hopeful. I’m sorry none of your shipped eggs didn’t hatch that’s really disappointing. What breed did you order?

Thanks for sharing, I’m a bit more hopeful. I’m sorry none of your shipped eggs didn’t hatch that’s really disappointing. What breed did you order?
I was OBSESSED with hatching lavender (self blue) ameraucana! I tried with a total of 26 eggs (2 batches from 2 different breeders). I ended up with 2 black split to lavender that I sold from the first set and none from the second. I ended up buying my splash pullet from a local breeder. No one has the self blue where I live. I have since accepted that I will not have this breed and I am Ok with it. I have a very nice mixed flock that all get along so nicely and I am blessed with this. 😊

It keeps hitting the high 60s :/
You need to bring this down. Way too high for incubation. Did you calibrate your hygrometer? Can you adjust humidity on your incubator? Do you have water in it? You can read up on dry incubation, that is what I do, as I have very high ambient humidity. With no water at all, mine runs 35-45%. I only add water when it is time for lockdown. I have even come up with a way to bring it down lower using "toasted" sponges. Labor intensive, I needed to do this when I hatched Marans, kept there humidity around 25-30%, as the dark shell normally needs lower humidity. 😊

Humidty is of course only one variable. Most people make adjustments based on air cell size and/or weight. Lots of debate out there which method is best. Sometimes it takes time to figure out what works best for you.☺

Back
Top Bottom