DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!šŸ˜Š

So sorry about losing your birds, that must of been devastating, also not knowing what was causing it. šŸ™ How did you realize it was the feed?
Thank you. It was awful, especially when I was feeding great feed, I kept treating and treating for parasites, and was powerwashing and delousing their coop weekly, but they were still dropping.

I figured out what it was when I mentioned that all of my birds were thin, and was recommended to switch from Master Mix to a turkey feed temporarily, and most started improving. A few more were too far gone by that point, but most have rebounded nicely, and I now feed a 20%.

I am by no means saying that FVF Master Mix is a bad feed, but the problem is that because it's not a homogenized feed the dominant birds were picking out the"yummy" but less nutritious bits, and leaving behind the "yucky" nutritional pellet which in turn was eaten by the less dominant birds, and it's far too high protein to be a sole ration. I'm definitely sticking to homogenized feeds from now on!

I have two that are at my house right now for further monitoring, because I have a mild respiratory thing going through the silkies, and those two were hit hardest. I wanted to keep them in an environment where I can ensure they are both eating while being medicated, plus I can keep an eye on their weight. It's kind of fun having them home, they talk to me!

Thank you. It was awful, especially when I was feeding great feed, I kept treating and treating for parasites, and was powerwashing and delousing their coop weekly, but they were still dropping.

I figured out what it was when I mentioned that all of my birds were thin, and was recommended to switch from Master Mix to a turkey feed temporarily, and most started improving. A few more were too far gone by that point, but most have rebounded nicely, and I now feed a 20%.

I am by no means saying that FVF Master Mix is a bad feed, but the problem is that because it's not a homogenized feed the dominant birds were picking out the"yummy" but less nutritious bits, and leaving behind the "yucky" nutritional pellet which in turn was eaten by the less dominant birds, and it's far too high protein to be a sole ration. I'm definitely sticking to homogenized feeds from now on!

I have two that are at my house right now for further monitoring, because I have a mild respiratory thing going through the silkies, and those two were hit hardest. I wanted to keep them in an environment where I can ensure they are both eating while being medicated, plus I can keep an eye on their weight. It's kind of fun having them home, they talk to me!
What a horrible experience! We try to do whatā€™s best for our birds and still things happen. Hope your silkies improve quickly.
I agree nice to have house chickens, even if only for a little while. I bring ones I think look like they need extra attention in the house and I keep the littles indoors as well.šŸ˜Š

@BuckeyeFoodie, I keep thinking about your experience with the feed.You might want to post a thread about it so others can learn from your experience. I too have been using feed with seeds and ā€œwhole grainsā€ and things in it because the chickens like it and itā€™s organic and supposed to be good for them. After reading your experience Iā€™m having second thoughts about using this. I do mix it with other feeds so itā€™s not the sole ration and I do add game bird feed into my mix as well to up the protein. But after you said they pick out the good bits, I realize mine do that as well. Thank you!šŸ˜Š

^^ I agree. I've only used homogenized food, never gave any thought to the possibility of having dominates pick out "the good stuff" if I made a whole grain mix with stuff I'm growing on property. Its one thing if they are free ranging whatever happens to be in season and ripe, entirely different if I harvest, mix and store as a primary source of food for them.

PLEASE post this experience for others.

Third one in the brooder now this one looks more blue to me. I think Iā€™m trying to convince myself that it is blue. What do you guys think?šŸ¤” Clearly lighter than the other two which are black. Their father is recessive white, which means he could be hiding anything genetically. šŸ˜Š
CF37A009-17A1-4038-80B9-716418EEEB28.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom