DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Pics
Does anyone know what a SFH rooster X GLW hen would be like? I ask cause I have a fertilized eggs from her and was debating if I should hatch it? Here's a reference picture..
Rooster is slightly crested :
P1010155 LANZ.JPG

Hen :
P1010112.JPG

Does anyone know what a SFH rooster X GLW hen would be like? I ask cause I have a fertilized eggs from her and was debating if I should hatch it? Here's a reference picture..
Rooster is slightly crested :
View attachment 2437980

Hen :
View attachment 2437981
I am no expert in genetics by any means, but using the kippen calculator, best guess from what I can tell both pullets and cockerels will be black patterned gold, incomplete laced, possible incomplete double lacing in the pullets. The SFH is a land race and a mixed bag when it comes to colors, so could really do anything!
It would be fun to try it out and see what you get. 😊

Happy news! I have two eggs pipped and cheeping! I strongly suspect they are from my paint girl, her eggs were the quickest to hatch last time.

In other news, I stopped being lazy and divided my Silkie pen into two halves - boys on one side, girls on the other. I decided that instead of doing individual pens per color (which given my lack of space and number of colors would be ridiculous) I'm going to use my crates and allow the chosen boy a weekly conjugal visit.... 🤣

https://www.pscp.tv/AshBrooks1220/1dRKZNomZDdKB is a link to my live hatch feed. I'm sure it will crap-out on me at some point and I'll have to start a new one by tomorrow morning, lol!

@BuckeyeFoodie, I keep thinking about your experience with the feed.You might want to post a thread about it so others can learn from your experience. I too have been using feed with seeds and “whole grains” and things in it because the chickens like it and it’s organic and supposed to be good for them. After reading your experience I’m having second thoughts about using this. I do mix it with other feeds so it’s not the sole ration and I do add game bird feed into my mix as well to up the protein. But after you said they pick out the good bits, I realize mine do that as well. Thank you!😊
i don’t feed food like that because mine were picking out the good stuff too and I had enough of it. The quail were doing it as well with their feed.

I have two that have externally pipped. One is actually almost entirely out of the shell. The other i had to help a bit, was very badly positioned, head seemed trapped, but he/she has a hole and is breathing fine now.

16072208918777344102061096596646.jpg

He's still attached to his shell, but is breathing fine, cheeping, and moving some between brief rests.

Hey Y’al!

I was NOT planning to be here but some eggs I ordered months ago with a long wait and hens not laying magically shipped! To my dismay arrived a day late and at least half scrambled 😣 So I not sure anything will hatch but I’ll try my best with the lot that arrived!

12 Silver Deathlayers set today... guessing most will be tossed by end of next week.

I filed a damage claim with USPS... Does anyone have experience with damage claims for detached air cells? At least 5 are full of bubbles (guessing they are straight scramble) the rest range from completely detached to extreme saddles halfway down egg.

Happy Holiday Hatching to you!

Hey Y’al!

I was NOT planning to be here but some eggs I ordered months ago with a long wait and hens not laying magically shipped! To my dismay arrived a day late and at least half scrambled 😣 So I not sure anything will hatch but I’ll try my best with the lot that arrived!

12 Silver Deathlayers set today... guessing most will be tossed by end of next week.

I filed a damage claim with USPS... Does anyone have experience with damage claims for detached air cells? At least 5 are full of bubbles (guessing they are straight scramble) the rest range from completely detached to extreme saddles halfway down egg.

Happy Holiday Hatching to you!
Welcome to the Hatching Party!
Silver Deathlayers! 😍
All is not lost, detached and extremely saddled eggs CAN hatch. Takes a lot of care, many different schools of thought. I have had some success incubating and hatching these eggs upright. I am extemely doubtful you will get anywhere wth USPS. Worth a try though.

Back
Top Bottom