December Hatch-A-Long 2014

So it is day 4(?) today, and just out of curiosity I candled an egg, it looks clear
hmm.png
Then I candled one of my few blue eggs. AND THERE IS VEINING!!
jumpy.gif
Lets pray I hatch something!

But one question, how should the air cell look? I can't find it and the yolk is up by were it should be....
Um, any help?

Quote: Don't be offended, but I think you are candling too much already. The less you handle the eggs the better. Most people recommend candling after day 7. If there are any questionable eggs, candle those again on day 10 Anything that is clear, has a blood ring or black blobs, or has quit growing should be tossed. Candle again at day 14 or 16 to look for late quitters. It doesn't do any good to candle so much.

Don't be offended, but I think you are candling too much already. The less you handle the eggs the better. Most people recommend candling after day 7. If there are any questionable eggs, candle those again on day 10 Anything that is clear, has a blood ring or black blobs, or has quit growing should be tossed. Candle again at day 14 or 16 to look for late quitters. It doesn't do any good to candle so much.
I agree with you. As I suggested, leave them alone until after day 10. If it helps this is what I do, I candle at day 7 and mark any that look funny with an x or s star.At day 12 I candle just those eggs that I marked.If they are bad I toss them if they look ok they go back in. Then for lockdown (day 18) I candle all eggs and pull as needed.

I'm not pulling anything. I'm just wondering about the air cell. I never marked them so I'm wondering.

And I don't plan on touching them again until day 7, unless everyone thinks that later is better. I was just curious. Never done this before.

Last edited:
So many say Candle on day 7 or 6 or 8 and if you can't tell recandle on day 10 or 12 or 11 or 9 LOL---why not just candle on the later day so you only have to do it once. If you have a desire to see what is going on in the egg----They are Yours, candle all you want. "I" personally do not like to "handle" my eggs anymore than I have to---shoot I might drop one or create a problem. I candle on day 12 and day 18 when I am removing the turner/putting into the hatcher----I have a real good Hatch % so I am Happy.

I only opened because I KNOW (from playing with this incubator before I set eggs) that my temp will not drop and neither will my humidity (since the room they are in is so hot and humid anyway). So I just quickly grabbed the egg and wrapped it in a warm damp paper towel while I worked on it under a heat lamp. I put the chick (still in the egg) back in the incubator and he kicked himself out. the plan was to leave him in there but he was so sticky his wings were stuck and it was drying really hard so I took him out and cleaned him off and now he is in a box of his own.
Same thing as above :) I knew I wouldnt kill them. Also had my boyfriend spray warm water in just in case

OH and I now have another marans egg pipped..Nothing has happened with any of my mixed eggs yet :(
Deb if it works for you---GOOOD---Its your eggs and if you are hatching 100% or close---it for sure is working. I hatch hundreds and hundreds of eggs per month and I do not have to open my incubator to help so What works for me---is to leave them alone till they all hatch or day 22---which ever comes first. Out of 1600 eggs in the last few months I have not had to open it during lock-down for nothing. Now, there are times when I open it---again on day 22 there will be a egg or 3 that has pipped and not finished hatching. I break them completely out, put them back in the incubator for a few hours or the next day. Most of those make it.

I feel NEWBIE'S would have better luck if they would leave theirs closed till they all hatch or day 22(they do not know all the tricks you and others that open during lock-down mentioned)------as long as they did every thing else like they should. If a Newbie ask---I always suggest that!!

Okay, that's good idea! Everyone says something different, it is kinda confusing.

i think what ever makes you happy is the best way :) i personally do this for pleasure more than anything. i have to also hand turn them so they end up being touched a lot. we candled ours on day 6 just because I'm new at this too and its too exciting to see whats going on in there. i bet after i do it 10 times ill be doing it "the right way" but I'm learning and having fun. there were a few that didnt look good so we marked them and checked them again on day 10. ill probably end up candling them a couple more times. I'm sure its better for the eggs the less you mess with them but then again i don't have high expectations and i just want to enjoy the process. wash your hands, be gentle but don't take too long and just enjoy. thats my philosophy on handling my eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom