December Hatch-A-Long 2014

i think what ever makes you happy is the best way :) i personally do this for pleasure more than anything. i have to also hand turn them so they end up being touched a lot. we candled ours on day 6 just because I'm new at this too and its too exciting to see whats going on in there. i bet after i do it 10 times ill be doing it "the right way" but I'm learning and having fun. there were a few that didnt look good so we marked them and checked them again on day 10. ill probably end up candling them a couple more times. I'm sure its better for the eggs the less you mess with them but then again i don't have high expectations and i just want to enjoy the process. wash your hands, be gentle but don't take too long and just enjoy. thats my philosophy on handling my eggs. :)
ftpagain, thats what is all about----having fun---enjoying what you are doing. I did not mean touching the eggs in my statement above about handling---If I was to candle them I would have to pick the egg up set it on the candle light and then return it. There is lights that I could buy and candle them while they just lay there---not have to pick them up----I just have no desire to do that. Do what makes you happy as long as it does not hurt the eggs!!

It is confusing!

They say that the more you handle the eggs, the better the chance of bacteria getting in there and killing the embryos. I can't imagine my hands are any dirtier that the under side of a broody hen, but you just never know. LOL Also, the first seven days of development are most affect by movement and external stimuli when candling.

With my last batch I actually put my thumb right through an egg when candling. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I think I was trying to get it back in the incubator when the top closed on me and I squished the egg. The egg was a quitter anyway, but accidents do happen and I had a nasty mess to clean up off the dining room table and the carpet. Fortunately none of the smelly mess got inside the incubator.

This forum is a great place to learn, so keep the questions coming!!!

I think everyone does their own thing and they do what works for them. As a newbie I admit I've had my hands on the eggs probably more than is necessary and besides candling on day 7 and day 14 I have taken peeks at a few on other occasions. I'm personally curious as to what's going on inside them since this is my first time. But I do make sure to wash my hands good and not keep them out of the incubator for too long. I have to hand turn them 3 times a day anyway so my hands are on them constantly. Considering I started with 12, of which 1 was infertile and I still have 10 growing great I think my touching them isn't affecting them a great deal. But I do think the less you have to touch them the better it probably is... mother hens don't sit there and touch their eggs all day, they just let them be and see what comes of it.

Anyway, I think everyone giving what they do is great because that helps newbies like me decide what works for us.

Im actually really new to incubating using an incubator, I've been hatching using a broody hen for about 4 years now and thats really how I learned so much so incubating and candling etc. Plus I read a lot. usually I go with my best judgement and "could this happen if these eggs were under a hen" train of thought. Like when my bulb blew in my incubator or the power went out and the eggs got chilled -- yes broodies get up and eat and socialize. The eggs were fine :) things like that just make me feel better lol

Found this really useful article about candling on accident. I don't know if it is Ok to post it here. If not the Mods can delete it.

http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2013/03/31/5-reasons-why-egg-candling/

Nice read. Thanks for sharing!

On a positive note.....I have two pips....and another rocking around. Crossing my fingers and toes and sitting on them both! LOL
wee.gif

Aggghhhhh!
he.gif
egg cartons, no egg cartons? I keep going back and forth and can't make up my mind and lockdown will be Wednesday morning. I'm freaking out here thinking about all the little details. Like I was planning on putting that rubber mat (like you use to line your kitchen cabinets with) and I bought the tubing for fish tanks so that I can put it through the holes on the top of the bator to add water while in lockdown then I realized with the mat being on top of the wire I'm going to need to cut holes in it so I will be able to stick the tubing where the water wells are. But in order to know where to cut my holes I'm going to need to have the lid off the incubator for a bit.

And again I still can't decide if I want to put my eggs in the egg cartons to hatch or leave them lying on their sides like they have been. It's a big incubator and I just have a few eggs so I am afraid they will get knocked around quite a bit by hatched chicks.

I've been having to add water every few hours today in order to keep my humidity up (the rain we had last week was so nice for my humidity) so I have a feeling I'm going to be adding water all day during lockdown which makes me so nervous to go to sleep at night and not be adding water for at least 6 hours!! I am going to be a wreck the rest of this week!!
barnie.gif

Incubating chicken eggs must be like being pregnant and having a baby because at this point I'm thinking oh my gosh I can never do this again because it's so stressful but I have a feeling once I see those cute little fluffy butts I'm gonna forget about all this craziness and be like oh ya let's do that again!!

Back
Top Bottom