December Hatch-A-Long 2014

I have been using the Hatchabatch app for my last several batches. I really enourage everyone to go to their fb page and check out the link to the video they posted.
Even the company who put out the app encourages humidity adjustments and estimated hatchdates to be based more on development than a concrete 21 day cycle.
The video helped me tremendously to estimate the development stage of eggs I found under my car, and to pinpoint eggs with slower/quicker development. I have found some needed to go into lockdown sooner and some later than the scheduled day.

Last edited:
I have been using the Hatchabatch app for my last several batches. I really enourage everyone to go to their fb page and check out the link to the video they posted.
Even the company who put out the app encourages humidity adjustments and estimated hatchdates to be based more on development than a concrete 21 day cycle.
The video helped me tremendously to estimate the development stage of eggs I found under my car, and to pinpoint eggs with slower/quicker development. I have found some needed to go into lockdown sooner and some later than the scheduled day.
awesome, my hatch date according to hatch a batch is Dec 12th but from my counting it's Dec 13th so I guess we have about the same hatch date. I will check out the fb page, thanks for the info. I am feeling more confident about my incubator as the day goes on. It's been at 100 degrees for 3 hours and between 40 and 43% for that long as well.

awesome, my hatch date according to hatch a batch is Dec 12th but from my counting it's Dec 13th so I guess we have about the same hatch date. I will check out the fb page, thanks for the info. I am feeling more confident about my incubator as the day goes on. It's been at 100 degrees for 3 hours and between 40 and 43% for that long as well.

My last batch had 2 early birds, 3 on time birds, 2 late birds, and 2 eggs I have merely not had the heart to give up on, yet. By comparing their development to the video every time I candled, I was able to note which ones to expect early or late. Thus far this has been 100% accurate in my own experience.
Something worth mentioning: Some people count the starting day as day zero. Others count it as day 1. Hatchabatch counts it as day 1. Might this be the cause for your date difference?

I get why it's called a Hovabator! I've been hovering over it since I plugged it in! Ahhhh, how am I ever gonna get anything else done! My humidity is holding steady at 41%, I think I'm good with that. My temp is at 99 and I'm scared to increase the heat because I'm afraid of it going over 102 but I know since it's still air I probably want it to be at least 101. Oh my gosh, this is nerve wrecking. I told my hubby yesterday, this is life or death here, feel like I'm playing with poor chicks lives here!

LOL...I have a hovabator too...but, the circulated air one. I put on 10 pounds with my first hatch. I am much more relaxed this round!!!

ACK! Woke up this morning to the incubator being 85! At some point last night it got unplugged. Have no idea how long the eggs were at that temp. I'm on day 7. Hope they all survive
fl.gif

ACK! Woke up this morning to the incubator being 85! At some point last night it got unplugged. Have no idea how long the eggs were at that temp. I'm on day 7. Hope they all survive
fl.gif
Oh no! Hopefully if anything it just causes them to hatch a little later than expected. At least you are on day 7 and can candle them! I'm on day 2 and I feel so much more relaxed than I have the past 2 days. My temp has been holding steady at 100 and my humidity is between 40 and 45%. Unfortunately I have to hand turn the eggs so those numbers drop while I have it opened but it usually only takes 30 minutes to an hour for them to get back and keep steady again. I really can't wait for Saturday to get here so that I can candle and see if I am doing things correctly. This is my first hatch and I'm a little bit OCD... haha ok so I'm a lot OCD, both Obsessive compulsive and obsessive chicken!! I'm not sure I have the patience to wait until Saturday, I may have to take a peek on at least 1 of the eggs to give myself some piece of mind. Luckily I have school work and kids to keep me mostly busy but I'm still not sure I can hold out till Saturday.

Happy incubating everyone!! Keep us posted.

ACK! Woke up this morning to the incubator being 85! At some point last night it got unplugged. Have no idea how long the eggs were at that temp. I'm on day 7. Hope they all survive :fl

My last batch dropped into the 70's for nearly a whole day during a move around day 6-7. All 9 survived to lockdown. 7 survived to hatch. 2 were alive until one got dropped on the other. (But I am still giving them a few days to be certain they didn't survive the incident.)
Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Hi!! I bought 12 more RIR eggs last night..
hide.gif
. I set them this morning and decided to candle since I was in the bator :) So far I have 32 of the mixed eggs and 10 of the light brahmas that are for sure veining with movement. I have 7 of the LB and 11 of the mixed eggs that I'm unsure of and 5 mixed and 1 LB that I tossed!! Not bad for the first candle :) Hope everyone is doing good with the hatches!

Oh no! Hopefully if anything it just causes them to hatch a little later than expected. At least you are on day 7 and can candle them! I'm on day 2 and I feel so much more relaxed than I have the past 2 days. My temp has been holding steady at 100 and my humidity is between 40 and 45%. Unfortunately I have to hand turn the eggs so those numbers drop while I have it opened but it usually only takes 30 minutes to an hour for them to get back and keep steady again. I really can't wait for Saturday to get here so that I can candle and see if I am doing things correctly. This is my first hatch and I'm a little bit OCD... haha ok so I'm a lot OCD, both Obsessive compulsive and obsessive chicken!! I'm not sure I have the patience to wait until Saturday, I may have to take a peek on at least 1 of the eggs to give myself some piece of mind. Luckily I have school work and kids to keep me mostly busy but I'm still not sure I can hold out till Saturday.

Happy incubating everyone!! Keep us posted.

My last batch dropped into the 70's for nearly a whole day during a move around day 6-7. All 9 survived to lockdown. 7 survived to hatch. 2 were alive until one got dropped on the other. (But I am still giving them a few days to be certain they didn't survive the incident.)
Best of luck to you!

I candled today (have to mark air cells) and am not seeing any movement and less veining than before. I've learned the hard way though to not throw anything out until at least day 14! Fingers crossed that I still have some that survived.

I candled today (have to mark air cells) and am not seeing any movement and less veining than before. I've learned the hard way though to not throw anything out until at least day 14! Fingers crossed that I still have some that survived.
no movement doesn't necessarily mean they aren't alive right? Well I hope some will pull through for you!

Back
Top Bottom