December Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chonsey, Dec 3, 2015.

1. chonsey

chonsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    I found a post on this website with pictures of no aircell showing on dark eggs until day 10 so don't give up.

2. CrazyChickLady7

CrazyChickLady7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Joining! Just put my eggs in about an hour ago

1 person likes this.
  3. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    I had a light blue egg I couldn't see thru. Pointy on both ends, it was a double yolk that quit. That's when I tried a phone App flashlight. It let me candle them right in the auto turn tray without touching the egg.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  4. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 I found my fridge!!!!!!! I FOUND my fridge!!!!!! Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Omigosh...power outage? [​IMG]Good for you for being prepared!! [​IMG]

That was one nasty spike! I think the lady I got some of my chicks from had an issue with humidity and her controls/gauges...but I don't think it was your brand.

You should totally put on some eggs for the NYHAL. I'm already relieved I have plans now for Christmas/boxing day and New Years...hatching [​IMG][​IMG]baby chickies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Well I have learned something. [​IMG] How did I miss that internal pipping starts at day 19???[​IMG] Geez I read, and read, and read about incubating when I started incubating this summer. THANK YOU for noting that specifically because I'll watch for that. [​IMG]

Hopefully the power outage did not affect your eggs [​IMG] and they hatch perfectly on day 21. 'Cause it's a darn long day to make it to day 22[​IMG]

I'm still a bit worried about seeing 102 and 101.8 on my thermometers...it freaks me out! [​IMG]

But the 2 degree difference that showed up from doing the ice water calibration means my temps should be at 100. I'm keeping it at 100 instead of 99.5 to give a bit of cushion on each side...just in case.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my eggs last night in my bator. (Please ignore the corner thermometer saying 101.4. It is so, SO wrong...I've since moved it.[​IMG]

6. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    That's fantastic! [​IMG]

I'm pretty new here myself [​IMG] You're gonna have tons of fun! [​IMG]

7. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Welcome Pandapaw and CrazyChickLady!! [​IMG]

8. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    Well the $2.00 thermometer I bought for my aquarium is now my Control thermometer for my new r-com incubator. It measured exactly 32 deg f at freezing temp. Looks like it's time for a new battery on my other temp/humidity digital unit. Candled my eggs, looks like air cells are forming. Found a couple saddle shaped ones.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. rockinD

rockinD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm on day 19 with 10 Swedish Flower eggs in the bator. I hatched only 4 of 19 EEs last month (12 went into lockdown and 7 of those were definitely viable at lockdown with a few in question). I feel some of it was my fault because I wouldn't stop meddling and opening the bator during lockdown. So, I've vowed to leave it totally alone except for adding water as needed until the first external pip. Then nada until it's done! Keeping fingers crossed I have a better hatch this time!

10. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    That's great to hear! I'm kicking myself that I forgot to get an aquarium thermometer when we were in the city last week. I had it written down on my last list, but I didn't get there. This time I forgot! [​IMG] An aquarium thermometer would take up only a fraction of space compared to my huge outdoor ones. And probably I could hang it on the side if it was one of those metal ones. [​IMG]

And I couldn't agree more...definitely replace batteries. Excellent suggestion! I replaced the battery in two of my digital thermometers the other night and the one is now super responsive, which is a nice surprise. It's also accurate with the bulb thermometers. [​IMG] I didn't even go by it last time.

I also put new light bulbs in just in case. One burnt out last time, but I can't remember which one now. My air cells are looking good so far. (I couldn't help myself last night)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by