December Hatch Along, anyone want to join?

What kind of incubator is the frustrating one, @Just Rosie ?
It's a little giant 9300 I believe thats the model. It's still air but the thermostat fluctuates up to 9 degrees one way or the other. I honestly had thought I killed all of my chicks but as of day 11 they all seemed to be at the right stage. And the thermostat has been giving me a heart attack, pray for these poor beebs.

Scary moment for me last night. Incubator spiked to 105!! Glad I woke up to go to the restroom and checked it. Looked in and water had evaporated (still was 40% so that was good) decided to take the lid off and check on them, all was ok they were moving in there. Refilled water and turned them.

Today sitting pretty at 99.5

Surprising December Hatch-A-Long! I got the "early birds". On Nov. 24th I set 12 eggs, Plymouth Rock Hens/Rhode Island Red Rooster. When listing the parentage who comes first the hen or the rooster? Anyway lock-down would be Dec 13th, right? I was debating on whether to lock-down early in the morning or when I returned from work in the afternoon. I opted for early morning. It's a good thing because when I got home from work, I had a hatch-ling already. Wow! We don't need any chicken feet for wings tied up in the automatic egg turner. So my official hatch date for this December is the 13th vice 15th. Two hens have hatched out so far. I know they are hens because the hatch-lings are (black sex link). The purpose of this December hatch is to test the theory of determining sex of a chicken before it is hatched based on the shape of the egg. So here are some pictures of the young ladies at less than 12 hours old.
IMG_3410[1].JPG IMG_3412[1].JPG IMG_3413[1].JPG
Thanks for letting me join you in the December Hatch-Along. Everyone have the best possible Holiday Season.

Surprising December Hatch-A-Long! I got the "early birds". On Nov. 24th I set 12 eggs, Plymouth Rock Hens/Rhode Island Red Rooster. When listing the parentage who comes first the hen or the rooster? Anyway lock-down would be Dec 13th, right? I was debating on whether to lock-down early in the morning or when I returned from work in the afternoon. I opted for early morning. It's a good thing because when I got home from work, I had a hatch-ling already. Wow! We don't need any chicken feet for wings tied up in the automatic egg turner. So my official hatch date for this December is the 13th vice 15th. Two hens have hatched out so far. I know they are hens because the hatch-lings are (black sex link). The purpose of this December hatch is to test the theory of determining sex of a chicken before it is hatched based on the shape of the egg. So here are some pictures of the young ladies at less than 12 hours old.
View attachment 1615589 View attachment 1615591 View attachment 1615595
Thanks for letting me join you in the December Hatch-Along. Everyone have the best possible Holiday Season.
Lock down should have happened on the 11/12th from my count, but how very exciting for those babies! You obviously were doing something right

I'm doing my first hatch. Got a broody Australorp on day 5/6 of sitting on five eggs out of my Speckled Sussexes, by an Araucana rooster. Originally were eight, but one broke and two were rejected yesterday - looked viable when I cracked them open which is a bit of a surprise as I've only seen my rooster make nookie with a hen on one occasion.

I set a few eggs back around Thanksgiving-ish. I woke up to 3 chicks this morning! I have several roos (1 Black Marans, 1 Blue Copper Marans, 1 Brahma Bantam, 1 Cochin Bantam, and a tiny Old English Game bantam that looks like Hei Hei from Moana :p )
My girls are 2 CCLB, 2 Barred Rock, 1 RIR, 3 EE, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Columbian Rock, 1 OEGB, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1 Welsummer, and I think that's it. Should be interesting to see what I get out of all that lol Crossing my fingers I get some nice olive eggers out of it.

Back
Top Bottom