December Hatch Along, anyone want to join?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adtillma1, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Sean_ewing14

Sean_ewing14 In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2018
    Scotland
    Just joined BYC but I have 2 cayuga eggs due to hatch any day now!! Actually a day overdue but will keep updated

2. Tbjenkins2007

Tbjenkins2007 Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    C1C9778A-04C7-47A7-BF7B-21D930940F73.jpeg Morning of Day 13: Well, I had to get into my little home made bator to fix a turn stand.... so... of course I candled them.

It does seem like a few are a little farther along than others, BUT there was movement in 18 out of 19, with only ONE being a “maybe”

I’m going to try my hardest not to open it up again for a bit

3. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Songster

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    I have never hatched quail eggs. Do you hatch your quail for hunting purposes?

Compost King likes this.
  4. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Songster

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    How did your December Hatch Go? By now no doubt you have biddies running around!

Compost King likes this.
  5. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Songster

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    Two weeks into the project I wish you the best hatch every. Mine began hatching 13 Dec. so far I have 2 Black Sexlink and 2 Rhode Island Reds out of 12 set. Their scheduled hatch date is today. Seems I have a few "Early Birds" (New Breed?).

Compost King, adtillma1 and Mosey2003 like this.
  6. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Songster

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    Not long ago I read "Do not open the incubator after lock down under any circumstances". I knew better but today I just could not help myself; here's why IMG_3452.JPG Does this little one need help at the expense of 8 others about to hatch any time now? The chick could not right itself! I gave in! I opened the incubator, removed the flailing chick from the incubator, set (her?) upright, she'd take a couple of steps then fall backwards. Long story short... after a 30 min. training session on how to sit upright and not fall backwards I returned her to the incubator for the heat. I figured the heat was more important than the sitting lessons. That means I opened the incubator a second time. In the last 8 hours I righted that chick two more times leaving it in the incubator so I opened the incubator FOUR TIMES during lockdown! The little bird is strong and staying upright - was it the training that made the difference?

Compost King likes this.
  7. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

No they will be for eggs and meat, they are Coturnix quail I don’t think the fly good enough for hunting. If I ever get the eggs not sure what the hold up is.

Feathers4Fun2 and Compost King like this.
  8. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Songster

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    I'm not a hunter but a friend of mine is an avid quail hunter and quail hunting dog trainer. Some day I may try hatching quail eggs. Right now I'm focusing on the heavier breed of chickens primarily for meat and eggs but every now and then I have to hunt them down too. I have nine cockerels that are broiler size right now so.... I hope your quail eggs arrive soon.

Compost King likes this.
  9. Tbjenkins2007

Tbjenkins2007 Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I wasn’t planning on opening it durning lockdown that is next week. We’re planning on making it safe for them to hang out while we wait for the others to hatch

Compost King likes this.
  10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

I have one of those, too! That's why a bought a digital one that has both the temp and humidity and put that one inside. It's more reliable. By the way, I am in the older thread that was started for the December hatching.

Compost King likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: