December hatch along

Pics
Happy New Years everyone I have taken the last few days to read this thread. I want to try to incubate a few eggs to. I have a Brinsea Mini II . It holds a total of 7 large eggs total. Since I don't have a rooster and we are not allowed them I will have to buy eggs or have some given to me. So now I am on the look out for some eggs. Hopefully I can join in the hatch soon and I love reading about everyone else having good luck.
You could also if you have someone close with roosters take a hen or a couple over and pen them together for a bit and let matings happen and then take them home and after day two of them laying after mating take those eggs for incubation for at least 7 days but up to 14 days I believe

You could also if you have someone close with roosters take a hen or a couple over and pen them together for a bit and let matings happen and then take them home and after day two of them laying after mating take those eggs for incubation for at least 7 days but up to 14 days I believe
We live very close to the city and not allowed to have rooster in our area. I don't know any one else that has any either or I would grab some from them. I may need to hit our tractor supply store and put up a notice there wanting fertile eggs if I cant find any. It maybe a way to get a few.

We live very close to the city and not allowed to have rooster in our area. I don't know any one else that has any either or I would grab some from them. I may need to hit our tractor supply store and put up a notice there wanting fertile eggs if I cant find any. It maybe a way to get a few.

Maybe you could ask in your states thread if anyone near you might have some hatching egg's available?

So we have one girl, one boy, and our last chick is a girl. I think she hatched a touch too early as she has a graphic sized amount of yolk left. She's pushed herself out of the egg and is resting. What can I do so she doesn't rupture it?

So we have one girl, one boy, and our last chick is a girl. I think she hatched a touch too early as she has a graphic sized amount of yolk left. She's pushed herself out of the egg and is resting. What can I do so she doesn't rupture it?
Leave her be. If you can cover the window(s) on the incubator so it's dark in there, do that. They stay quieter when it's dark. If she doesn't tear herself up, it will absorb.

On my own hatch, it's looking like either 5 pullets or 5 cockerels, still not totally sure. So, I think we can say, for practical purposes, that cold temperatures probably don't kill off that many male embryos. Unless, of course, all my clears were male, but I would think there'd have been some sort of development and then death, and these were really clear. Hard telling, but I'm not going to try to use chilling on purpose.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the whole chilling eggs to kill males probably isn't very effective on a small scale. I have at least three males out of 9, and none of the eggs died during incubation. So unless it killed them dead and they appeared as clears, it's not useful in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom