Decided to get creative with my brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlleysFarm, Jan 8, 2013.

1. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Last year when I had the ducks I just did 2x2's with chicken wire. So decided this year just to put together something with the stuff I had on hand. Decided to make a brooder cabinet out of an old TV stand that I was going to throw out anyway.. I cut out a rectangle on the top placed hardware cloth for the bottom. I then built a cabinet out of 2x3's that was screwed directly to the stand.Not really big but I'm only doing hobby hatches for me so big enough.. [​IMG] I do have to lower the lamp though only running about 85 degrees right now.. Hope to be putting some chicks in hopefully a week from today.. :)

[​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Thats really neat.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    COOL!!!

4. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Very awesome!!! that is exactly the project I just set for myself. I was going to use a tv entertainment center But decided to go with an armoire. I just picked it up this morn and will transform it into my new stylish brooder over the next 2 weeks before our eggs hatch. Thanks for sharing it looks great.

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    With all of that vertical space available & unused you have plenty of room to add some perches. Randomly spaced with about 4-6 inches to hop from 1 to the next would work perfectly & would expand usable area greatly. It would allow babies to move up off the floor as they get older & allow them to use the brooder longer because they would be able to space themselves out as they grow & not overly crowd each other on the brooder floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by