Someone help! I don’t know what I’m doing!

Naldowaldo

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
So last night my family came home with 8 WILD EGGS! I don’t remember where they said they found them but it was covered in dirt. We tried candling it before realizing we have no clue on what means what when candling. My cousin decided to open one very slightly. It was only a small crack. That’s how we found out that there are actually living things in these eggs. The egg was bleeding and the chick was breathing. We tried to tape that area back as soon as possible and I currently don’t know if that chick is ok or not because I don’t know how to tell. We were able to conclude that the rest of the eggs were also fertile. It’s been abt 24 hours. I had this lamp that I used to try and incubate them in a big bowl with a towel underneath. A few hours ago I noticed 2 eggs had a small crack as if they pecked from inside. One of them started chirping and has currently made a small hole in its shell. The other one hasn’t done anything else since the first peck and the rest of the eggs have shown no signs of hatching yet. In that 24 hrs, I did research and went out to get what was needed for food and for their brooder for IF any survive. I was not prepared for them to start hatching so quickly and I don’t know how to continue considering I don’t know what day they are on. I’ve been trying to do as much research I can but it’s hard to find advice for my current situation. Someone help me figure out how long I should wait for them to hatch and if there’s anything I can or should do to better the situation. If it wasn’t obvious, I’ve never done this before.

If they are pipping (pipping is the first hole a baby makes in the egg) they need to be in lockdown (don't move them) they need extra humidity so wet some kitchen roll with warm water and put the eggs on the kitchen roll trying not to change their position but make sure you do not cover any pips, ducklings take a long time to hatch up to 48 hours after the pip
@New duck mommy 2021 and @WVduckchick can you give any more help

Also and this is important your family egg-napped those eggs, if they were covered then their mum was just out getting some food, water, having a swim and going to the toilet, and especially if they are alive
I don't know were you live but here in England it is illegal to take eggs from a wild bird you are only allowed to if you have a permit or are a wildlife rescue. I don't know whether your country has a different rule but it is wrong to steal a mother's babies whether you are allowed to or not
If you are worried about the eggs being abandoned then feel the eggs for if they are warm (if they are warm then mum is still looking after them) and you can also put 2 sticks as a cross on the eggs and then come back an hour or 2 later and see if mum is their or if the cross has been moved as you might scare mum off
Good luck

My cousin decided to open one very slightly. It was only a small crack. That’s how we found out that there are actually living things in these eggs. The egg was bleeding and the chick was breathing.
Why Would You Do That Ross Geller GIF

So last night my family came home with 8 WILD EGGS! I don’t remember where they said they found them but it was covered in dirt.
Could they find the same spot again, to maybe put the eggs back?

Someone help me figure out how long I should wait for them to hatch and if there’s anything I can or should do to better the situation. If it wasn’t obvious, I’ve never done this before.
Can you contact any kind of a wildlife rescue in your area? That is probably the best option (as regards caring for eggs/birds, and also if there are any laws about who is allowed to care for them: wildlife rescues will typically be allowed to, and/or will know who is allowed to.)

As regards getting useful advice on here, can you post a photo of the eggs? Or tell anything about how big they are and what color they are?

Some baby birds hatch, take a nap, and then start walking around looking for food (examples: chicken, duck, goose, turkey, quail.) In general, eggs found in a nest at ground-level are more likely to be this type of bird.

Some baby birds hatch and then sit in a nest looking helpless and naked while the parents shove food into their beaks (examples: pigeons, eagles, hawks, parrots, most of the small birds you see flying around anywhere, most eggs found in nests above the ground.)

For the kind of baby birds that walk around and eat for themselves, proper care is mostly providing a safe place, the right temperature, and appropriate food/water for them to eat. For the kind of baby birds that are helpless, proper care is much more difficult. Knowing which kind of bird is a start on knowing what kind of short-term care to provide while you figure out what to do in the longer term.

It’s very important to leave the eggs be
They break the shell to get air then they take 24-48 hours to absorb the yolk before zipping out
This mom probably was off getting food and wetting her belly to make humidity for her eggs
It’s also illegal in my country of Canada to touch any wildlife nests
Nature is to take its course no matter what the outcome is
Because those babies are alive this tells me mom hadn’t been gone to long
Are you prepared with a brooder , heat , feed , water dishes ?
Ducklings need proper feed not things out of our fridge and cupboards
They will need waterfowl starter feed or non medicated chicken feed starter if waterfowl feed isn’t available
They will need a water dish deep enough to dunk their heads but not where they can climb in and get wet/ cold and die. I cut holes in my lids so they can get the head in and out without falling in
They will need a brooder set up where there is cool spots as well as warm
No treats can be given for a few weeks and at that time you will need to provide chick grit ( separate bowl) as they need it to digest the feed
Treats can only be little bits
If you have taped up the egg that baby will not be able to pip out past tape

Back
Top Bottom