Do it your self incubator

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I have made incubators before. I saved this box from frozen shipped meat.
20240116_170459.jpg
it is 12x12" it had a liner to keep things frozen. I put foil on the bottom. And a lamp 15 w
I put dowel, 3 would be better. Hardware cloth 3" from top. I keep 2 of the 4 top flaps.
20240116_171238.jpg
I cut a hole on top, then tape up the rest. With a couple of tiny gaps for the upper vents. I attach the glass on top, with tape one side, for a hinge. The other edges have black tape only covering glass edges. (This is so heat will not leak out the edges. ) a bit will still escape that is also good for upper vent. Below all sides have a small black thread spool for air flow from under neath.
20240116_170742.jpg
looking into the glass lid I can lift to turn eggs.
20240116_171518.jpg

I have a 🌡 and will heat it 24hr. Then add these eggs from 2 different local farms (fridge eggs.) I chose the smallest of the groups. Smaller eggs hatch well. Well small to med.
20240116_174959.jpg

Is there a thermostat at all or are you controlling temperature by finding the correct balance of bulb size and placement to get close enough. Then fine tuning with the vents? I look forward to seeing your results. I have looked at a whole lot of diy designs and successfully hatched a few chicks with one I built

I have made many and for my size 15w is great, I have made DIY incubators when I was first starting, you def have to test run them to get prop. temp.

I worked out fine, I have made these before. With this one I had them in for one week, and then when my regular incubator opened up, I moved them into that. Usually I use these incubators to warm up eggs, so if I stagger, they never go in to a different incubator cold.

Back
Top Bottom