1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Decreased egg production due to no rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Firetiger, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Firetiger

Firetiger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    Newbie question - (pick up hens this weekend). Friend says hens wouldn't lay many eggs without a rooster around! Any truth to that?

2. pasta514

pasta514 Out Of The Brooder

no [​IMG]

3. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We have 4 roosters for about 30 hens and we get lots of eggs. If anything, they have started laying more since the roosters have matured.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We had a rooster, and the hens laid well.

We culled the rooster about three months ago, the hens still lay well.

That's just an old wives' tale. But people who believe it, really, really believe it. My stepfather, for example. There is no use arguing the point with him... [​IMG]

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Let me put it this way. Does a woman need a man around to ovulate and cycle? Does the absence of a man around mean she won't have her monthly cycle?

Chickens work the same way.

I'd argue that they sometimes will produce MORE eggs withOUT a rooster, as compared to having a very aggressive rooster around that is creating stress in the flock.

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Another point to ponder is that a rooster will keep order in the flock and settle squabbles between hens. Hens that are stressed out tend to lay less.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There are many people who think you need a rooster to even get eggs. I have only hens and I get usually an egg a day from each, except in extreme heat/cold and when they are moulting production slows down [​IMG]

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Quote:My Mum really, really really believes this wives' tale! Then again, she's is scratching her head as to why we want to raise chickens in the first place... I'm a bit disappointed that she is not as excited as I am... Maybe too many bad childhood memories from living on a farm in the summer time... Not sure.

9. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    I can't believe how many relatively intelligent women comment that I need my rooster to get eggs! Almost everyone seems to believe it!

10. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We have a neighbor who claims that he got rid of a rooster because the roo kept sticking his spur into his leg and then his laying hens egg production went down dramatically. I have a feeling that any major change in a hens routine could cause egg production to go down due to stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by