Decreased Egg Production Even WITH Supplemental Lighting??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mermaidskis, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

True statement! My coop is so dark even in the middle of the day!

1 person likes this.
  2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I worried about giving them too much light but when I go to turn out the light at 9am and the coop is thrown into darkness, so much so that I cant see into the nest well enough to clean them out or gather eggs I realized it wasn't hurting them, besides.. Folks in Alaska who get a several months of 24 hour sun don't seem to have issues lol..

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    They sleep at night... I have been out to the coop after 10pm and all is quiet and there asleep (until of course I walk in) The flock will sleep and rest with or without the light, they go to roost by 5-6pm and generally don't budge until 5-6 am [​IMG]
    And I realize 24 hour sun in Alaska is during the summer months [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  5. The Chicken Fan

The Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a light in my coop, and I am getting 5-7 eggs a day out of 9 chickens. One of my barred rocks stopped laying for 3 weeks, and just started laying again. I asked a lady who has over a 150 chickens and she said it's normal for egg production to decrease if not stop in winter.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Will you leave the light like that all year?
    Would be curious to know what the lay pattern is like come spring/summer.

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    No, actually I will start turning it on an hour later starting the end of this month ( Winter solstice) so by early March late February I wont be using the light at all. It is typically only from the end of Oct - the End of Dec that they really need the extra lighting, that plus the fact 90% of my flock is new layers the light was only meant to get them thru the worst of the "hump" .

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If temperatures birds are exposed drop too much egg production will decline as well despite the lighting regime.

9. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks True BYC Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    My egg production is down also. I do not supplement their light except for a couple hours in the morning. Out of the last 4 days I've gotten 3 days of 5 eggs and 1 day of 8 eggs. I have 17 hens. I'm thinking some are moulting as there are lots of feathers in the coop. At least 5 EE's are not laying at all and I have 7 of them. My girls were born in March and April.

10. bbkaren

bbkaren Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    We keep supplemental lighting on 24/7. I have read it's supposed to cause stress to them and decrease their lifespan, but our chickens aren't long-lived pets anyway. They're put in the pot after 2-3 years. It's worked well for us for several years now.

That said, I've noticed a decrease as well this season and am wondering if the new bulb I put in there (13W curlicue) might not have the spectrum they need. I'm going to try a different bulb to see if there's an improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by