DEEP Hole in chicken****PIC****pls HELP

1eyejer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Prince Edward Island
i have 60 white rock meaties, 1 month old and today i noticed a hole in not 1 but 2 chicks...the hole is in the exact same place on both birds...can anyone advise me on what to do...the others are pecking these holes and they are quite deep, i can actually see the insides of them both??????
34709_injury_003.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what i would like to know, they are kept inside..nothing can get in, there is nothing in the coop that could do this.....exact same thing on 2 different birds??????????????????

The feather picking is a big issue. You need to remove the injured chickens and place them in a rehab pen until they are better. And, police the area until you find the culprit because they will move on to the next chicken low in the pecking order. Then...remove the culprit or put peepers on that chicken. Also, anyone else that has red areas..spray with Blu Kote to cover up the red. Chickens can't resist pecking at red. And once they see blood...they won't stop. Also, try giving them something to do other then feather plucking. Scratch at straw, hang cabbage, a Flock Block. Try giving them extra protein like BOSS or scrambled eggs. Make sure they have enough room to get away from each other. Add another pen and put some roost bars in the pens. Good Luck. I hope your injured birds are ok.

I bet you it's pecking. I had a similar issue when I had to put a bunch of wyandotte cross chicks I was raising for meat on wire for two weeks because they had a nasty strain of coccidiosis. They pecked one badly enough that the spine was exposed... I separated the bird, put blue-kote on the injuries, and gave the birds more space, more feed, and a head of cabbage to peck at to alleviate boredom. It stopped the bad behavior.

Back
Top Bottom