DEEP Hole in chicken****PIC****pls HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1eyejer, Jun 4, 2010.

1. 1eyejer

1eyejer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    i have 60 white rock meaties, 1 month old and today i noticed a hole in not 1 but 2 chicks...the hole is in the exact same place on both birds...can anyone advise me on what to do...the others are pecking these holes and they are quite deep, i can actually see the insides of them both??????[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    definitly separate the ones with the holes!!!!maybe a gauze bandage???? idk i'm sorry

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    omg what happened?

5. 1eyejer

1eyejer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    Quote:Thats what i would like to know, they are kept inside..nothing can get in, there is nothing in the coop that could do this.....exact same thing on 2 different birds??????????????????

6. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Either rats did this or you have some hungry chickens.

...JP

7. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The feather picking is a big issue. You need to remove the injured chickens and place them in a rehab pen until they are better. And, police the area until you find the culprit because they will move on to the next chicken low in the pecking order. Then...remove the culprit or put peepers on that chicken. Also, anyone else that has red areas..spray with Blu Kote to cover up the red. Chickens can't resist pecking at red. And once they see blood...they won't stop. Also, try giving them something to do other then feather plucking. Scratch at straw, hang cabbage, a Flock Block. Try giving them extra protein like BOSS or scrambled eggs. Make sure they have enough room to get away from each other. Add another pen and put some roost bars in the pens. Good Luck. I hope your injured birds are ok.

8. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Could it be an abscess?

9. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    I was thinking abscess too. WOW! [​IMG] yucky

10. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I bet you it's pecking. I had a similar issue when I had to put a bunch of wyandotte cross chicks I was raising for meat on wire for two weeks because they had a nasty strain of coccidiosis. They pecked one badly enough that the spine was exposed... I separated the bird, put blue-kote on the injuries, and gave the birds more space, more feed, and a head of cabbage to peck at to alleviate boredom. It stopped the bad behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by