deep litter and hay

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saildog, Dec 16, 2012.

1. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Here to vouch for deep litter and using pine shavings. I did that last 6 months and it was great. Cleaned the whole coop out and did it this time with coastal hay instead. That was a mistake. A neighbor vouched for it with the reason that the hay was cheaper but it does not work for this use. My only trouble with the pine shavings is that t when I took the pine shavings out of the coop and scattered them around for mulch it often molded on the ground surface. So I would then have to try to bury the pine shavings.

But for the deep litter Stick to the pine shavings and adding the ammonia neutralizer. !!! No odor , warm coop, good padding for the hens jumping off the roosts in the morning too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pine pellets - the type used as horse bedding have worked well for me. Rather than spreading them upon coop cleaning, I add them to the mulch pile.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Molding is part of the normal process of breakdown of plant materials. As Sourland says, adding them to a mulch pile and allowing them to cook for a while will make them better for spreading.

I also use deep litter with shavings and it works great.

4. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Agreed, mold just happens. I have been using the deep litter method for over a year now. No problems and in the winter, because a certain level of composting goes on in the lower layers, it provides the girls with some added warmth inside their coop. I keep the hen house cleaner but also add a thick layer of hay and pine wood shavings, that I can get free at a local wood working shop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by