Deep litter/bedding on top of sand?

Thanks for that. Yes my run is full covered and there is no water issues whatsoever. So is your major objection to the hemp the cost? Also don't many coop floors have wood bottoms? I have read the sand pulls the moisture out of the dlm material and interferes with the breakdown.

Wondering how often you have to change out your wood chips? Also what kind of wood chips do you get and from where?
Yes, many coops have wood flooring. However, in my experience, the coop sees FAR less moisture than the run. In fact, it is imperative, for the health of the birds, that moisture be kept to a minimum in a coop. My understanding is that those who have wood floor in coop are doing dry/deep bedding system, not DLM. Although, I scoop my coop poop daily and it is VERY dry (I do not do deep bedding or deep litter in my coop, so I can't speak to that). And yes, hemp is extremely costly.

I never change out the wood chips, I just add more as needed. If you wanted to use it for composting, it will likely take a long time to break down into compost in a covered run.

Most of my substrate is cypress mulch (from Lowes or Home Depot), but I did just have a couple of large trees cut down and chipped, so I will be utilizing that as well.

Last edited:
Don't place anything between whatever you are using for deep litter and the ground. Not only will it destroy your plywood, but DLM needs soil contact to allow beneficial microbes to move in and assist with the process. Otherwise, you are doing essentially "deep bedding" on ground. They plywood is just extra expense that makes the process less effective.

and I'm blessed with free leaf litter from the surrounding acres, so that's my choice. Wood chips, pine shavings, leaf litter as I use, almost any dry brown can be used. You also benefit from irregular shape/size. It helps ensure air pockets and that you don't form a solid mat layer - as can happen when people simply dump bags of wet grass clippings). Aerobic (with oxygen) good. Anaerobic (without) potentially bad. I'm not familiar enough with hemp materials to have an opinion one way or the other on it specifically as compared to other alternatives.

I like "cheap" - your birds, after all, are simply {defecating} on it. But something you feel comfortable then reusing as garden soil once its finished composting is definitely best.

Back
Top Bottom