Deep Litter Height

You have a great open-air coop - does the litter build up against the hardware cloth portion of the coop? Do you have to step-up onto that foot of litter when you enter?

We put a solid lining around the bottom of the coop. It hasn't worked 100% the way we wanted it to, but It's doing reasonably well.

Yes, I do have to step up, especially on the downhill side. I have to periodically shovel the litter back up the hill when it's migrated down too far.

We put a solid lining around the bottom of the coop. It hasn't worked 100% the way we wanted it to, but It's doing reasonably well.
Do you mind explaining what lining you used and how it hasn't help up to your expectation? I was thinking of something exactly like this for my next run, lining the bottom foot or so with something solid and able to withstand moisture from the litter.

I don't have a hill, but do occasionally have to use a rake to re-even out the litter. My girls tend to create a large pile in the back of the run for some reason. I suspect that is common. Not hard to handle, but just something to be aware of.

I expected it.

It was much simpler to plan to cope with the slope than to remedy it for the setup we intended.

Back
Top Bottom