Deep litter method

I suppose it would work for deep litter.
It will get soggy and disintegrate
I use cardboard for mulching between plants such as rhubarb and grapes or anything like that. between rows in the garden.. worms just love the stuff..
jiminwisc.....

I have an 8x6 coop, with a dirt floor. The way the coop is set up it has a storage area with a divided chicken wired “wall” with a door leading to the coop area. The coop is only about 8 inches deep, once bedding goes above that height it starts to scatter into the storage area. I originally built the coop intending to use sand. Will a deep litter method not work with only 8 inches of coop depth? Would the coop setup be better for sand or just cleaning out bedding as needed. Below is a picture for clarity.

Attachments

• 8F1AA099-0685-4D57-900A-8C33B2AE7DBC.jpeg
    8F1AA099-0685-4D57-900A-8C33B2AE7DBC.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 16
I have an 8x6 coop, with a dirt floor. The way the coop is set up it has a storage area with a divided chicken wired “wall” with a door leading to the coop area. The coop is only about 8 inches deep, once bedding goes above that height it starts to scatter into the storage area. I originally built the coop intending to use sand. Will a deep litter method not work with only 8 inches of coop depth? Would the coop setup be better for sand or just cleaning out bedding as needed. Below is a picture for clarity.
That doesn't look like a dirt floor?

That won’t work because the coop door is chicken sized-about 15” high.
your chickens do not need 15 inches of head room.
put a 3 or 4 inch board across the bottom of the door .
then taper the bedding from the board up to the depth
that you want it.
that's what I did with mine. it worked fine for over 45 years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom