Deep litter method

Hello, this is my first time on in this community. We see keeping chickens in our near future and are “sold” on the Deep Litter method. But despite all the accolades for it on a great many websites, I cannot find any designs or plans, DIY or otherwise, for a chicken coop/run assembly that is intended specifically for Deep Litter. Most dialogue seems to be how to achieve it with the coop you already have. Surely there is a “right way” to create a coop for Deep Litter? We are in Georgia (warm with ample moisture), an urban setting but chicken-friendly, imagining at most a dozen chickens (initially less), dirt floor, shady setting, ready access to wood chips. Assume the coop should not be raised, and should have good aeration… but need more specifics!

Hello, this is my first time on in this community. We see keeping chickens in our near future and are “sold” on the Deep Litter method. But despite all the accolades for it on a great many websites, I cannot find any designs or plans, DIY or otherwise, for a chicken coop/run assembly that is intended specifically for Deep Litter. Most dialogue seems to be how to achieve it with the coop you already have. Surely there is a “right way” to create a coop for Deep Litter? We are in Georgia (warm with ample moisture), an urban setting but chicken-friendly, imagining at most a dozen chickens (initially less), dirt floor, shady setting, ready access to wood chips. Assume the coop should not be raised, and should have good aeration… but need more specifics!
I think that the reason you don't see more is that there really isn't an ideal coop for deep litter. The only thing I would do differently would be to make sure you account for the height of the deep litter everywhere, so make feeders and waterers adjustable, put sideboards a foot up on the run to keep the bedding in, etc.

Very informative thread. I have a tractor coop that sits on a cement patio. So the upstairs, the coop, has the door in the floor to go down to the small fun below.
There are two low roosting bars with a clean out drawer below, 3 nesting boxes and one the opposite side just some square footage to mile around in and the doorway down stairs.
My question is; since the door to leave the coop is in the floor, do you think I could try to do the deep litter method if I could figure out a way to create a lip around the flip up door??

UPDATE.....the tractor coop I bought and that has been outside for a week, is falling apart! I decided to order an Amish made 7x8 coop. SO the DLM will work just perfect in my new coop.
And we will be constructing a run propably 6x6x6 dog kennel which will be made preditor proofed with hardware cloth. I do intend to do the DLM in there too. I live in Illinois lots of rain right now so it should work out pretty well.

I think it just depends on the coop and climate, etc. I have built a few of the Garden Coops (purchased plans online) - the second one I added size to. It's perfect for hot climates and for deep litter. Here's a photo of my bigger one (the Naked Neck coop). They actually prefer to sleep out in the open part of the coop. I have yet to clean it out and there's plenty more room for more leaves, etc. The photos are form when I first set it up - the litter is a lot deeper now, about 1.5 years laters.
NNCoop2.JPG
NNCoop3.JPG

- Ant Farm

Also consider the Woods Coop (you can research it with a search of the forum) because the ventilation will be welcome in Georgia. And there is a very large floor, good for DL IMHO.

Yep! I also have some tractors I use as smaller coops that are on a similar principle. Deep litter there, too.

This is uncovered. Then you put a tarp over the top/sides and double layer of shade cloth on the upper back (wind and rain break but allows ventilation and feeling of security when roosting).

TractorInPlace.JPG

Here's another one, just after finished. I don't seem to have any photos showing the deep litter in place (before I put the covering in back).
TractorComplete.JPG
TractorCompleteInside.JPG

Back
Top Bottom