Deer fencing to keep out flying predators?

Henrybelle

Songster
Apr 22, 2018
Northern California
I just lost a five week old light Brahma to a crow. I plan on free ranging when they get a little bigger but for now I have half the backyard fenced off by the coop for them I understand that casualties happen especially when free ranging but for the meantime I’m looking for something inexpensive that will deter crows hawks owls etc. any suggestions? Would plastic small holes deer fencing work?

Sorry for your loss. I remember the first and only time so far when a chicken hawk just swooped down and picked up one of my 13 chicks. I couldn't believe my eyes. It also happened so fast and made me feel so defenseless. I was about the net half my backyard, but instead started to let them free range closer to the evening. Haven't seen it since. I've seen people use all kinds of netting. It's just so they can't swoop down to pick up a chick of chicken.

Thank you i did feel terrible we were home and I was in the bathroom for only a minute we came around the corner as the SOB taking off. She was the family favorite too

I was raking just a couple of feet away when I heard the mother hen give out a loud scream. Within a couple of seconds I saw it dive down and just grab one of her chicks. I threw the rake at it but it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom