Deer Netting?

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Just heard of this stuff. Seems to be a low price alternative to chicken wire (our goal is to keep chickes in,discourage the few predators they might encounter-we live in the city, and have a walled in back yard and a very protective dog).

Who uses this? Any reasons not to?

It is not an alternative to chicken wire. It may keep out small birds but, it won't stop anything else that wants in. You might as well free range your birds. That is about the same protection they would be getting. If a coon can chew through chicken wire in 1 evening. ( This has happened to me) Then how long will it take them to get through deer netting. Save your time and your chickens buy hardware cloth , or some other kind of welded wire fencing. It may cost more but you'll be glad you did.

I think the only thing that might chew on anything near the chickens is the dog. Again, we are in the city limits, no real predators...

We use it to keep the chickens out of the gardens. Drive a few stakes in the ground and zip tie the netting to it.

It WILL NOT stop a predator. Our dog is blind in one eye and when he is not paying attention, he will run right through it. Some string to tie the hole shut and it is fine, at least to keep the chickens at bay.

I do have it over a couple lots to 'deter' hawks, but it will not stop any 4 legged predators. Birds(sparrows, robins, etc) just bounce off it. None have ever been harmed.

1 thing I do use it for is snake snares. This only in the loft of the hen house or around the bantam houses. Snakes can't get through this stuff if it is loose and not stretched tight. They get tangled. You can either carefully cut them loss to relocate them or get rid of the problem permanently.

If you get snow, it will not hold up.

Matt

Hmmm. My dog is sweet, but kind of young and goofy (watching where he is going is sooooo not a priority for him right now:rolleyes:). Maybe chicken wire on the sides and deer netting on top to keep chicks in.

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I don't know much about Albequerque, but I do know Raccoons don't care about city limits, if your area has Raccoons near by they are probably going to visit your house too. I'd upgrade your entire coop with atleast chicken wire.

If I were you I would call animal control, to see what kinds of predators they deal with. You might be amazed at what they tell you. I used to travel to downtown New York City for work. I've seen coons there before. They will live anywhere they can find food and water.

Back
Top Bottom