Deformed beak and under-developed pullet

jonichole

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
I've just started looking into deformed beaks and how to take care of issues... the reason for this?
- My 2 mo old Polish has developed a severe "hook" to its beak (just the upper part) and the bottom doesnt seem to be growing as long as it should.
I believe this is the reason of its being waaaay under weight and smaller that all the other birds I got at the same time (same breed too).

I'm thinking about trimming her beak so she can eat more and have what I think will be a better chance to normalize... but... like I said its a severe hook and the bottom isnt that long. I'm afraid i'll be cutting off way too much if I cut the upper back to the length of the lower.

Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions for me? I'm having issues even finding pics of examples on the internet :\
when I go home today, I'll have to tack a pic so I can post what I'm talking about.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated- I'm worried and feel so sorry for this under-developing bird!! :(

Cut the upper back in increments. You want to cut back to the quick but not into the quick. Providing a deep dish filled with feed sometimes enables these birds to eat more readily. It almost appears that this malformation my be genetically linked to other problems as such birds very frequently fail to thrive under the best of care. Good luck at improving her quality of life.

Below are a few photos I took of her showing her beak, the lower one is soooo short and I can't even trim the top short enough to match it, right?
There is also a photo of her and another polish of the same age.
Could this be due to a vitamin D deficiency? I just put the new chicks outside last night... they were in a brooder indoors.

Thanks in advance !! :)

Here are a few photos I tookof her ...

Wow, I have never seen a beak malformation quite like that. Generally such conditions are genetic in origin. It would be impossible to trim the upper beak back to match the lower beak. From what I can see, it appears that the quick (fleshy part of the upper beak) extends beyond the lower beak. Trim no further than the beginning of the quick. This is best done as a two person job.

thanks for the quick response Sourland!!
silly question but I'm having trouble... "cutting to the quick" just cutting off the clearish tip part? I'm having difficulty deciphering qhere the quick begins...

I know! weird, right? It's almost like her lower beak hasnt grown AT ALL since she was 1 day old!

thanks for the quick response Sourland!!
silly question but I'm having trouble... "cutting to the quick" just cutting off the clearish tip part? I'm having difficulty deciphering qhere the quick begins...
Yes - just the 'clearish tip part' - stop short of any pink. If any bleeding occurs, needless to say, you have gone back too far. Styptic pencil, silver nitrate and other available products can stop the bleeding.

Last edited:
How did things go?

A very sad thing...
Kid you not- upon leaving work Fri, about 10 mins after posting, as I was putting my phone in my bag, I saw a new msg from the B/F which read "The little gray one died this morning"

I was too late.

Back
Top Bottom