Deformed beak

Swirlwind

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
I have a bunch of 3 week old chicks and one of them has a deformed beak. So far she's been managing to eat and keep up weight with the rest of them, but I'm wondering if that's going to be able to continue as she grows? Should I cull her now while it's more humane, or let her keep going until she's unable to thrive anymore?

1702829684116.jpg

Attachments

• 1702829776435.jpg
    1702829776435.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1702829765201.jpg
    1702829765201.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1702829727905.jpg
    1702829727905.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 6
There are several threads here on BYC about caring for cross beak (aka scissor beak). That one is severe.

Read up on the condition, and honestly assess the situation; decide if you are able and willing to make the commitment to a special needs bird for the rest of its life. That may make the decision for you.

There are several threads here on BYC about caring for cross beak (aka scissor beak). That one is severe.

Read up on the condition, and honestly assess the situation; decide if you are able and willing to make the commitment to a special needs bird for the rest of its life. That may make the decision for you.

Well, I guess that was enough of an answer lol. Thank you for letting me know what it's called, now I can look it up! And no, if it's not something that she can self-manage, she will be culled.

I agree with @Sally PB that's very severe. I've never seen one that bad, but you've kept it thriving for three weeks, so there's that.

It may need mash its whole life and some other added care is needed, but you'll find out how to do it all when you look it up and decide what is best.

I breed chickens so I know what my answer would be.

Good luck! :hugs

Last edited:
I agree with @Sally PB that's very severe. I've never seen one that bad, but you've kept it thriving for three weeks, so there's that.

It may need mash its whole life and some other added care is needed, but you'll find out how to do it all when you look it up and decide what is best.

I breed chickens so I know what my answer would be.

Good luck! :hugs
Well, she's managed it on her own, I haven't actually done anything. Which is why I thought maybe she'd be able to just keep going as is. But it sounds like not.

Just FYI... there are also threads (or an article) on how to humanely cull chicks.
This might sound horrible, but my dog is immediate and more humane than anything I could do. As long as the chick is as tiny as it is. Which is one reason I want to make this decision now, before it gets any bigger.

Back
Top Bottom