Deformed chick/chick death (WARNING! GRAPHIC PHOTOS!)

My new Brinsea incubator came and I put 12 Silkie eggs and 8 Naked Neck eggs in there and all but one Naked Neck egg hatched! 19 out of 20 is not bad! I guess my Little Giant incubator is just no good!
56AA6D4E-AFA9-4F79-8E5F-7F8C46487A0C.jpeg

The first time I used my Little Giant incubator, it was a still air and I had a great hatch! So the second time I went to use it, I thought I’d splurge and bought the fan kit and the egg turner and all of my eggs died half way through incubation. So the third time I tried, I took the egg turner out and still used the fan and just hand turned them and still, all of my eggs died. Both my second and third attempt, I was trying to hatch shipped Silkie eggs with badly detached air cells, so I just assumed that was the problem! So this most recent time I tried to hatch eggs, I was using my own eggs from my own chickens, thinking my hatch would be great I excitedly put my egg turner back in there and still used the fan and all but one died around day 20... That caused me to suspect that adding the fan was what may have caused the problem (especially now since you said that), since my first time using it was so successful and it was a still air at that time (AND those were shipped eggs also)! I thought about trying it one more time and using it as a still air with no egg turner and just doing it manually, but at this point I was too afraid to try again! Uggg😔

So this time I REALLY splurged and already got the Brinsea 28 EX! It supposed to be delivered mid May, here’s hoping it will work!
The fan on my old LG pushed the heat from the old type wide heating element down the sides which created at times a 2 degree difference on the sides. So yah the eggs on the side would be warmer while cooler in the middle.
Mine as posted before is older and is not a very good bater. The only way I could make it work is with a temp controller. Also even then since it is the old rheostat controlled it is still hard to get a perfect setting.

Back
Top Bottom