deformed chick

tcher4

Hatching
10 Years
May 16, 2009
sad.png
What do I do if there is a deformed chick that has hatched. It has a bulge on its rear end that is pretty large. She can walk but does not seem to be doing well. Do I put her in the brooder or leave her in the incubator and see what happens?

Nope its the same basic thing as sugar water but stronger. Its an old fashion thing my grandparents used to use when they had 100s of birds at a time. I ALWAYS use it on my chicks for at least a couple of weeks, and its even brought back almost dead chicks. Just dont give it too much or it will choke and spit up bubbles.
sad.png

Thanks. It's my first time hatching chicks. I would hate for my students to come in to a dead chick. I hatched 14 and they were all fine. The last and 15th is the one having problems. Will she naturally drink it when I put her in there?

It depends since chicks do not need food or water for the 1rst three days. If its not drinking on its own try a small syringe and pry open its beak. Also fill up 1/2 a chick waterer with hot water with the Karo then after stirring it fill it all the way with cold water. For some reason the syrup only mixes with hot water. No idea why.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom