Deformed cornish chick

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickensrfood, Jul 26, 2010.

1. chickensrfood

chickensrfood In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    So I have a batch of cornish x and white leghorns in a brooder together all the same age. I noticed today the cornish x are really starting to stand out. They are now about 4 days old.

The cornish are also marked with black dye on their heads. To my surprise one was very tiny and had an empty crop so I fed them and watched him chase the other chicks excitedly but not eat himself. Upon closer inspection this little guys bottom beak is a quarter of the length it should be. He is unable to even eat and must have been living on stored energy. Can I save him by maybe trimming the top beak or should I just put him down?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. MissJenny

MissJenny Songster

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What happens when you separate him and put a dish of food in front of him? Does he try to eat?

I would think that he would learn to manage with what he's got. (There are blind chicks and four-legged chicks and short-winged chicks...they simply learn to adapt) I would feed him separately for a few days -- assuming he at least tries to eat and is to some extent successful.

If you still feel the need to trim that upper beak I would suggest trimming on the side of caution -- instead of trimming back to the same length as the lower, trim only a wee bit at a time till he can successfully eat. And make sure, should you have to trim, that the tool you use is very sharp. A dull trimmer can crush the beak rather than cut it.

Best of luck to the little guy,
    Jenny

(the blond chick [​IMG] edited "blond" for "blind")

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Songster

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Those are the ones that aren't quite as smart as the rest?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickensrfood

chickensrfood In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    There is plenty of food and he literally can't grasp the food even when poured in a deep pile. His lower beak looks like a tiny triangle. And when he pecks at a crumble his upper beak being of normal size is doing nothing more than stabbing at the food. Also he has not grown at all and is becoming weaker. His crop is completely empty and i am unsure if he can drink. If he is alive in the AM I am going to try to syringe him some hand feeding bird formula. They are kept at a different location so I can't try tonight. I only have 5 so I wanted every one to make it to the table. I didn't know if this was a common symptom in every so many birds being a cross.

Its not like a huge big deal if he passes just a shame and I think trimming his beak would probably do him in. Just to much would have to go and he is so small.

5. uhuh555

uhuh555 Songster

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    A blond chick and a four-legged chick jumped out of an airplane at 5000 feet which one would land first?

We’ve received one-eyed chick with part of the brain missing years back and it was an interesting pet for 3 years before it died.

If you trim the upper beak, be sure to have a hot soldering iron near-by just in case it bleeds. You only need to hold it to the bleeding cut for 2-3 seconds. Good Luck

Now the punch line: The four-legged chick will land first because the blond chick will stop and ask for directions.

Couldn’t help myself!

6. petrelline

petrelline Songster

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    I would cull that chick. If he can't drink dehydration is a hard way to die. I believe it's more humane to put down the ones that you know aren't going to make it rather than wait.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Songster

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you given him yogurt or hardboiled egg? These are high nutrient foods that should perk him up quite a bit till you get that beak trimmed.

The Blond Chick,
    Jenny

8. Bossroo

Bossroo Songster

Jun 15, 2008
    If it was me, I would cull that chick yesterday.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    please do cull it starvation and dehydration is a terrible way to die.

10. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    agree with the cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: