Deformed feet. PLEASE HELP!!!

new2green

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 16, 2013
I got a rooster from a neighbor and it has something on both feet. One is worse than the other. It is a Brahma breed, maybe 2 - 3 years old.
We removed a spore when I found a sore, it was bumble foot, but it keeps on coming back and it is getting much worse. Now there is no sore spot. Please help, he is the sweetest rooster.

Attachments

• Foot 2.jpg
    Foot 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Foot.jpg
    Foot.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Other foot 1.jpg
    Other foot 1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Other foot.jpg
    Other foot.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-17 at 08.03.11.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-17 at 08.03.11.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm going to guess that your neighbor never cleans the coop or run and allows feces to accumulate week after week, month after month, causing a lot of staph bacteria to thrive as well as toxic and burning ammonia.

To treat his infected feet, will require daily Epsom salt soaks with a wound antiseptic added to the water. Betadine or Oxine or any of the many wound washes available that kill bacteria.

I would also coat his feet with an antibacterial ointment and keep his feet wrapped with Vetrap between soakings. It would also help to give him a round of amoxicillin, 250mg daily for ten days. Get it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ Push the capsule into his beak. He will swallow easily.

There looks like some frostbite on a few toe tips, seen by the bulbous skin just above them, some pecked out and broken off feathers, some bumblefoot, and scaly leg mites. Azygous has you covered on treatments.

I'm going to guess that your neighbor never cleans the coop or run and allows feces to accumulate week after week, month after month, causing a lot of staph bacteria to thrive as well as toxic and burning ammonia.

To treat his infected feet, will require daily Epsom salt soaks with a wound antiseptic added to the water. Betadine or Oxine or any of the many wound washes available that kill bacteria.

I would also coat his feet with an antibacterial ointment and keep his feet wrapped with Vetrap between soakings. It would also help to give him a round of amoxicillin, 250mg daily for ten days. Get it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ Push the capsule into his beak. He will swallow easily.
Thank you so much. You are right, the neighbor's place is terrible. Many chickens die there, it is sad. But I've had him for months and have been washing with peroxide and coating with vaseline ever since. My girls have 5.5 acres of clean space and the coop is clean here, I figured he would be better now.
I am so grateful for your input. I'm starting the treatment today.

I was able to get everything except the amoxicillin, nobody wants to sell without a prescription. Any suggestions? FYI Today I did the first soak, cleaned, and bandaged his feet.

Hi there,
This is an update. We have been caring for Leonardo (the rooster) religiously! Every single day. He is better, but my question is how long should we keep the amoxicillin? It has been 2 weeks now. The feet are better but not fully healed. Should I continue with the meds or just the cleaning, soaking and bandages?
IMG-20230311-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20230311-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230311-WA0003.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom