Deformed foot! 2-3 weeks old

gracielove

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Help! I have a chick with a deformed foot. I’ve seen things on possibly fixing it with a boot but this seems extreme and I’m afraid to hurt her. She looks to be about 3 weeks old? I’ve had her two. The lady at Jax said to leave it alone and it would fix itself, which it has not.

what do I do??

Attachments

• 1F037647-E8D4-4C83-9CF1-C4D402AC0895.jpeg
    1F037647-E8D4-4C83-9CF1-C4D402AC0895.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 9B3AFC19-4299-4B32-B906-4184CC2262FA.jpeg
    9B3AFC19-4299-4B32-B906-4184CC2262FA.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 11E7A8C1-733D-4113-915A-744534C396DB.jpeg
    11E7A8C1-733D-4113-915A-744534C396DB.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 6
No, no signs of infection that I am aware of. Redness, etc. any particular signs I should be aware of?

Is she able to walk? If you see any signs of infection you may have to cut her foot off.

No, no signs I’m aware of. any signs I should look for besides redness? And she can walk ok. She seems to get around fine. Maybe a bit slower than the other chicks

Help! I have a chick with a deformed foot. I’ve seen things on possibly fixing it with a boot but this seems extreme and I’m afraid to hurt her. She looks to be about 3 weeks old? I’ve had her two. The lady at Jax said to leave it alone and it would fix itself, which it has not.

what do I do??
I would make a boot or small splint for her. Slowly correcting the foot. Make sure you secure the leg and foot and tape it well so it can start growing back to the normal position.

I would make a boot or small splint for her. Slowly correcting the foot. Make sure you secure the leg and foot and tape it well so it can start growing back to the normal position.
Do you have experience doing this with a foot like this? I am worried of hurting her more and have heard stories of injuring the foot.

Do you have experience doing this with a foot like this? I am worried of hurting her more and have heard stories of injuring the foot.
I have not done this personally but a friend of mine has done this. As long as your wrap the door for it to be stable and tape under the foot and to the leg to keep it from moving it should grow back no problem. It’s similar to a baby’s foot when they are crooked sometimes they fix themselves sometimes they bandage them to correct it. You could always do extra research on the splints too become more comfortable on how to wrap it.

I have not done this personally but a friend of mine has done this. As long as your wrap the door for it to be stable and tape under the foot and to the leg to keep it from moving it should grow back no problem. It’s similar to a baby’s foot when they are crooked sometimes they fix themselves sometimes they bandage them to correct it. You could always do extra research on the splints too become more comfortable on how to wrap it.
*foot not door

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom