Deformed silkie feet.

Rhapsody1

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Desert Hills, AZ
We have five four week old silkie chicks. One of them has terribly deformed feet. It's feet are kinda turned sideways and all of her (knuckles) are kinda curled under. She seems to get around well at this age and frankly is a tad sassy, but being brand new to chickens I wonder what the chances of a good life is? Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone seen anything like this before? I will try to get a picture of its feet tomorrow.

Hi,
No chances for a proper life. This happens. It is sad when it does. Put the chick down.
It's the right thing to do. It will probably be bullied by the other birds if you try and grow it out.
Best Regards,
Karen

We have five four week old silkie chicks. One of them has terribly deformed feet. It's feet are kinda turned sideways and all of her (knuckles) are kinda curled under. She seems to get around well at this age and frankly is a tad sassy, but being brand new to chickens I wonder what the chances of a good life is? Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone seen anything like this before? I will try to get a picture of its feet tomorrow.

Have you tried making her some shoes? I usually take two of the little round band-aids (the ones no one ever uses) and put them on the feet back to back, straightening out the toes as I stick them down. I usually see at least moderate results in a day or two. I have a 4 year old Easter Egger hen with curled toes. She was far too old for correction when I got her. You would never know it to look at her in action. She is at the top of the pecking order. The only side-effect that I can see is that the joints in her toes do look a bit enlarged, my vet says arthritis, but it doesn't seem to bother her.

Except this doesn't sound like curled toes and 4 weeks is too old to go about fixing it. It could be slipped tendons or a vitamin deficiency.

I agree with 3riverschick, I would put it down if it were mine. I've had a couple come from the incubator with messed up feet/legs. One I tried to grow out to see if it could manage, it couldn't. The other I ended quickly.

Good luck :/

20190221_200228.jpg

Back
Top Bottom