Deformed toes on silkie chick

Snozzle

Songster
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Tri-Cities Tennessee
My friend, a first time chicken owner, bought 6 silkie chicks from a local breeder yesterday. When she got home she noticed one of them had an odd looking toe on each foot. I first thought it was some sort of injury, but since it is the same toe on each foot I am pretty sure it's a deformity. Has anyone ever seen this? Do you think they should be amputated(we have a wonderful vet who will try to make any animal comfortable, it doesn't matter how complicated or tiny) or is the chick going to be able to use it's feet normally? What would cause this?

I kept a Silkie that had clubbed feet for years and she found ways around it, even managed to perch, all with no toes to grip - they all bent backward under her feet. Just keep an eye out for sore spots that could become infected or if she has such difficulties walking she should be put out of her misery. Looking at her it's much less severe than ours was so she should be okay :)

That's good to know, it seems to get around just as good as the rest of them, so hopefully there won't be any problems then. Thanks!
smile.png

Yes your silkie should do fine. But this must be a genetic disorder.

If you decide to hatch chicks.... please don't use her as a breeder hen.

You wouldn't want to pass this genetic disorder to someone else.... as the silkie breeder has to you.

Back
Top Bottom