Deformed Wings?

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
I am super new to chickens. We picked up 9 chicks at the local feed store on Sunday (June 11th). They had been in store about 2 weeks, so I'm assuming they are about 3 weeks old. One I picked out seemed to be the obvious runt of the batch. They said they were Golden Wyandottes. I'm curious about her wings. They are nowhere near as developed as the rest. I didn't know if it was just a delayed growth thing because she's a runt, or if there is actually something wrong with her wings. I posted 2 pics each of Nugget (the runt), and of Meg (same age, developed), with open and closed wings for comparison. I don't mind if she's a little different, I just didn't know if there was anything I had to look out for because of it. TIA
Nugget closed IMG_0550.jpg
Meg closed IMG_0553.jpg
Nugget open IMG_0554.jpg
Meg open IMG_0552.jpg

Is there any chance the chicks arrived in different shipments? The development of Nugget is consistent with a younger chick, or it could just be slower developing. While feather sexing doesn't work unless the chick was bred from specific breeds that were crossed to produce a slow feathering male, (according to the breeding experts), many flock owners often guess, and with at least 50% accuracy that the chicks that are slower to feather out are males. As long as Nuggett continues to eat well, act well, and continues to grow, all is well.

Thanks! According to their site, these were the chickens they received and when they received them the month prior to me getting them. and none the week before I got them. So I'm assuming all 3 of my speckled ones are the GW.
  • May 8th – Columbian Wyandotte, Golden Campines
  • May 22nd – Cuckoo Maran, Araucanas
  • May 29th – Golden Wyandotte , Black Giants, Red Stars
I really hope nugget is not a boy, as he/she is kind of my favorite lol We can't have roos here in my "city" (I use that term loosely) limits :'(

I'm actually afraid I may have gotten a few boys, as 2 of my 4 red stars have more defined combs and are starting to show wattles. They aren't red yet though, so I'm trying to hang on to hope a little longer lol And as I said, they are only about 3 weeks old, so I won't really be able to tell for a bit longer.

yep, they are a type of sex link. There are many different names, and sex link chicks can be bred by the home flock raiser. I produce black sex linked chicks that have a walnut comb and lay aqua or blue or olive eggs by crossing my avatar roo over a Dominique or BR.

Your red stars are definitely not males, as they are sex linked birds. If they were males, they would be almost all white.

2 of them are pretty light. That would be Claire and Jo. Especially Jo. I know in this pic Charlie looks light, but it's just her wings. She's one of the darkest ones on her back. Rowena is the darkest one. Jo also has the most defined comb and wattle. These were taken Monday. They are all bigger and more defined now.
Charlie.jpg Claire.jpg Jo.jpg Rowena.jpg

Back
Top Bottom