Dehydrated pullet?

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
I made the mistake of trying to introduce a single new hen to my flock. I knew it could be problematic, but didn't think it would get this bad. I've had to separate her a couple of times because the other girls drew blood. For a while I separated the main aggressor from the flock, and she did a little better, but still spent much of the time hiding in a nest box.
She was in the chicken tractor for a week and I decided to try letting them free range (hoping she'd been in there long enough to go in at night. That was yesterday. By noon we could not find her. I thought maybe she'd left to escape the other chickens, but in the evening I found her hiding in some tall grass near the chicken tractor. Apparently she'd been there all day, in 90 degree heat with no food or water. I put her in a large dog crate. She drank a lot and ate a little, but ever since then she's been having trouble keeping her balance. When she stands and leans over to eat or drink, she pitches forward. It's been about 20 hours, and she's still struggling.
Is there anything I can do for her other than wait and see. If she recovers we'll build another chicken tractor for her and get another docile hen or 2 to keep her company, but right now we're just trying to get her well

Just sit and wait. Get her plenty of food and water so she never, ever runs out.
Get her some nice treats too. My chickens love green apples!

I'd add electrolytes/vitamins to her water; she probably IS dehydrated. You can get packets of powder at the feed store or your local TSC-type store. Just put a pinch in her water cup. GOOD LUCK! OH, and yes, your idea of putting a friend in is a good one. I've done that before, given her a friend from the bottom of the pecking order...then when you reintroduce, she's got a buddy.

In a pinch you can dilute Gatorade until you can barely see the color. Sounds like this hen night not be accepted, so I hope you have other pens or can make arrangments for a friendly setup...

Last edited:
Quote:
Very, very good idea.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I tried that-put her with the chick that one of my hens hatched this spring. They got along fine, but still when I put them in with the other girls they pick on her and she hides. The other chick is 2 weeks younger and much smaller, but seems to have some advantages: 1 she's been in here since she was 4 weeks old so the other girls are used to her, her mama still takes care of her, even though she's almost 3 months old, and she stands up for herself and can also run really fast.
I've given up on the idea of putting this hen in with my current flock. After yesterday, I think if I keep trying she might die of dehydration or starvation, so a new coop it is.

Back
Top Bottom