Dehydration Prevention

Syryn

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hello, its not an emergency yet but this seemed to be the best place to post this. I have a quick question on Dehydration. I live in Arizona and during this time of year it hits 100 degrees and up. Is there anything I can give them to help prevent them from getting to dehydrated and cool off? Right now their all panting from time to time and stay next to the waterier but they seem okay. Also if one gets too dehydrated what should I give her? Someone I know mentioned giving them Gatorade if they get too dehydrated, but I want to make sure its okay. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Syryn

When it's really hot here I put electrolytes in the water, I just use the Save-A-Chick packets because they are easy to add to a gallon of water. Other then that....make sure they have plenty of full shade and water available at all times. When it gets really hot I make puddles for them to wet their feet in and have a fan blowing on the same area, those two things seem to help the most. I also have a fan on in each coop. Cold or frozen watermelon is a welcome treat on a hot afternoon as well.

During heat waves (that must be all Summer in Arizona, lol) I supplement water with vitamins-electrolytes and add ice to the waterers. Make sure they always have access to shade, keep waterers and feeders in the shade, and make sure the coop is well ventilated and secure. Permanent exhaust fans to draw warm air out or portable fans help greatly in the coop like Cafarmgirl mentioned. I have a tube type mister which I can hook up to a hose. These are helpful when set up in a shady area.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it and I will be doing those things for them.

Back
Top Bottom